Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, here goes. My 01 makes some slight brake sqeaks(front only) on occasion. I have about 4500 miles on the original pads. I was wondering how long(miles) you guys usually get for a set of pads? What kind of pads would you guys recommend. And do you think this is my sqeaking problem??? The second thing is this, I was riding my bike a couple days ago, when i pull into my shed and shut it off i hear this whistling noise(the bike is off). It goes away, but if i move the bike forward or backwards again it does it, then goes away. It did it again today, turns out it is the pressure in the gas tank, as soon as i open the top it lets out a bunch of pressure and doesnt do it again. The only time my bike has done this in 4500 miles is on this certain tank of gas. You guys got any idea why all of a sudden it is doing this on this tank of gas and not any other????

·
Registered
68 Posts
The squeak is normal. The problem with American drivers (I'm one of them) is that they think squeaky brakes is a bad thing or that it's a sign they need replacing. If you go to Japan you'll notice that almost all break squeaks, especially on Import Cars. The reason is is because you have a metallic pad rubbing against a metallic rotor. The metal on metal of course causes the squeak. U.S. car and bike manufacturers (or assemblers) put an anti-squeak compound between the pad and the rotor that actually causes less friction, therefore less stopping power. They do this because no one likes squeaky brakes, when in fact it's natural and doesn't mean that you need new pads. My bike's brakes squeak a little bit and it's brand new because no compound was used.

But if your pads are worn down so bad that it hits the little peg imbedded inside the pad, that's when you need new pads. But that should be a constant loud squeak. If your pads only squeak sometimes, you should be okay. I would replace them about ever 6000 miles but that's just me...

·
Registered
934 Posts
Both noises are normal... ajburt22 has covered the breaks well, so I'll move on to the tank. ...Mine does it all the time, it's just the fuel expanding with heat from the atmosphere (hot sun) and the hot engine, and then the releasing of pressure as you stated. Why has it not happened before? ...Perhaps you just haven't ever noticed it before. (Too much other ambient noise.) Or, possibly you haven't got the bike's fuel hot enough to expand THAT much? Either way, don't worry about it, all is well.

Do a search and I'm sure you'll come up with several thread to read through.
[8D]

·
Registered
329 Posts
The tank might vent more now because you may have some winter gas in it, some fuel company's add alcohol to gas in the winter to stop fuel lines from freezing. Alcohol is lighter than gasoline so it expands faster when heated by the engine beneath it.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
a metallic pad against a metallic rotor? something doesn't sound right there...aren't the pads carbon-something...

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
The pads are probably ceramic or some shit. I'll look it up, but it definitely ain't metal on metal... that would cause some sort of seizure I'd assume.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Well, after about 20 seconds of studying it looks like brake pad compounds are exactly that... compounds. Many of them do contain ceramic and some metallic parts. Many kinds of other things as well.

My advise is to use some brake clean and clean the rotors and try not to slam the brakes on every stop. Or you can try buying new pads if they're worn. Does this squeaking noise come in at the end of your braking about 30-40 feet before you completely stop? If so, you're probably braking a little too hard.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Brake pads are an asbestos compound, with all sorts of other stuff incorporated to improve wear and wet weather stopping ability. If you have a look at your pads using a flashlight, you will see a wear limit indicator. This will vary form maker to maker so get some advice from a knowledgeable friend or your local dealer.

There's no point in changing them until you have to. I've had 25k miles from pads on a touring bike.

As to replacement, I'd either go with OE or, if you can get them, Carbon Lorraine pads. Again, check with your dealer because they do a number of different compounds, race, standard etc.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.