Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

I have a question. Whenever I use my rear brake, there's a loud squeeling sound. Does anybody konw how to fix it?

Thanks
-b.

·
The Indifference Engine
6,150 Posts
Could be anything from dirt stuck in the pads to something really bad like all the friction material is worn off of the pads (translation: you're running metal on metal) in which case you'll need a lot of expensive brake parts.

Optionally you could sto pthe bike in the correct fashion (using the front brakes).

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
This is not a knock on the o/p, but seriously how many use the rear brake at all? I never touch mine.......

·
Registered
221 Posts
i use it all the time for some reason, almost all front brake though but i like to engine brake and add a little rear brake to the equation. but yeah this is a fairly .... lame? question, if the rear brake is squealing check it out! lol and when you lock up the rear it starts to sway and is a pretty muffled squeal so i doubt its that. its probably shot pads. if the pads and rotors are all ok though then simply the pads could have free'd up (thats why they come with that thick adhesive like grease for the back of the pads) or you got some crap stuffed up in there.... if that makes sense haha

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
I use mine a lot as well. Especially in stop and go traffic. It's either carefully maneuver the bike in very slow (less than walking pace) traffic or keep putting my feet down. I also use it at stop signs so I don't have to put my feet down.

·
Registered
11,326 Posts
I thought everyone on this forum removed the rear brake for safety purposes. Hmm?

Use brake cleaner from an auto parts store and spray the rotor down a bit. If it doesnt stop then change the pads. Geeze!

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
I thought everyone on this forum removed the rear brake for safety purposes. Hmm?

Use brake cleaner from an auto parts store and spray the rotor down a bit. If it doesnt stop then change the pads. Geeze!
thats a damn nice douche bag!

·
Registered
734 Posts
This is not a knock on the o/p, but seriously how many use the rear brake at all? I never touch mine.......
hmmm. You should probably start. It's great for washing off speed to pinpoint your corner entry, without making the bike want to sit up, and thus change direction. It also helps you to stop a tad quicker whilst emergency braking.

·
Banned
5,572 Posts
Wow. Ok

note to self...never take advice from asteelo! haha

And that slogan you got Fighting Solves Everything. I have a shirt that says that. Its from GammaO, testosterone booster.

·
Registered
28,787 Posts
Your bike has a rear brake?

·
fap-o-caster
50,488 Posts
Ok I've also found some small metal gratings on the rear flywheel thingy.
rear flywheel thingy? Do you mean your rotor? That's a large flat circular perforated disc. These small metal gratings, are they scratches, gouges, or just free metal flakings? If you have gouges on your rotor that's bad news. replace the rotor. The surface should appear smooth and relatively clear from debris and a minimal amount of brake dust if any. Anything else and you have a larger problem. If you look closely you should be able to see your actual rear brake pad. Check out my bad ass ms paint skills to help you identify correctly your rear brake system:

Attachments

·
Registered
203 Posts
The rear brake provides approximately 15% of your braking power. Use it. It will also slightly reduce pad wear on the front pads since part of the braking is distributed between the front and rear brakes. I don't know about you guys but I notice a HUGE difference in stopping distance. When coming to a stop at a stop light it is about a 4-5 foot difference when using the rear brake.

Hell, around town at stop lights I can completely stop the bike using nothing but the engine and rear brake.

Edit: This is my first post in about 3 years at least.

·
Registered
28,787 Posts
I've ridden 120 miles using just engine braking and the rear brake after breaking off the brake lever once. I know the rear brake can stop the bike. It has it's place. Slow speed turning, gravel, etc. It's ok to use around town when the speeds are low as additional braking, but when your actually moving, it's not needed. I can pick the back tire off the ground at 70 mph with the front brakes, at that point trying to use any rear brake is just a waste of concentration, trying to threshold brake the rear to keep it from locking.

·
Registered
28,787 Posts
dont turn this into ANOTHER front vs rear brake thread.
theres PLENTY of those already.

to the OP, it sounds like the brakes are worn..especially if ur finding metal shavings.
:iamwithstupid:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts