Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What I want to know is why the majority of the people on this site seem to be worried about bike colors and chroming polishes and not more about squeezing horses out of the engine or inexpensive mods that will make the bikes turn or brake better? Are most of the people here not interested in dragging a knee and more worried about if there helmet matches the tank color?

I would classify myself as a fairly good rider and I have a fair amount of motorcycle knowledge. I just wish some of the guys with a lot of ZX6R knowledge had a place where they would post pictures and descriptions about real world mods. Not squid stuff. Like what are peoples favorite gearing set ups for different types of riding? What kind of deals are there on frame sliders? Has anyone done a strange modification to their engine or chasis or suspension that made it perform differently?

Do not get me wrong. I appreciate the site even existing I just think it could be better considering some of the other bike owner sites I have been a member of. I just got my second ZX6R and found this site and wanted to really get in and make it the best it can be on the street and track.

Just a few questions. Thanks.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Thinking about my previous post I may be a little harsh. But, I do think it would be great to have a site built to the level of information like a TLPlanet or Gixxer.com. Maybe we just need a little more time and effort? Or maybe squids just like a good looking bike when they see one?

I posted my questions I will see if we get any good discussions.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
LOL! Gixxer.com is THE HOME of squids last time I was there.

It also happens that the GSX-R is the definative club racer, which is why there's a lot of good info on there. Plus it's been around a lot longer, so there's bound to be more folks that know a great deal about the bike.

·
Premium Member
8,191 Posts
I ride hard, get my knee down, ride the twisties and commute to work on my bike, does that mean I can't be concerned with how it looks?

As for the "real usefull stull" like engine mods, parts, riding styles, etc.. We've got several members who are very knowledgeable. We also have squids, but any board has it.

I agree with strong bad too, last time I was on gixxer.com it was squid heaven.

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
My definition of a squid is someone that asks about gearing and doesn't bother to read the 100 odd posts about the subject before hand.

There are plenty of topics about everything you don't think is here. And because you bought what (in 2003) was the sharpest, quickest and damn close to cheapest entry-level sportbike out there, how can you expect that only "hard core" riders are going to buy it? That's why you only see people picking it up to run right out of the box. You don't need to do anything to the 636 to make it faster than the next guy. So, if you can change the demographics of who buys this bike and uses the internet regularly enough to participate in a forum, then be my guest.

You know what gixxer.com has going for it? Three models that are practically identical and unchanged for the last five years and home of the liter bike that dominated the AMA this year.

Here's reality. Most people look down on the 600 as a small step up from a girl’s bike, so they tend to buy 1000's because they see them on TV and they're "real men". People tend to buy what's popular and winning. The only thing Kawi's put on the podium in that class in years is the 7R. Even people that own a 7 won't recommend it and the 9 is a joke when it comes to track performance.

So what you have is a bike that any serious racer (where all of the so called knowledge comes from) isn't going to touch because it's only a year old and that means it's untested, no performance parts to speak of, no local support for it and no common wisdom about the damn thing. Kawasaki is also the only one of the four that seems to care nothing about racing and their support and knowledge doesn’t trickle down.

There are plenty of knowledgeable people here to help if you ask and a slew of posts about everything you're asking about. The thing you're going to have to deal with is your model is two years old and old technology.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Look under technical discussion or racer's corner. That seems to be more of your stuff. About your other comments, I would leave it to more experienced people.

However I am new to bikes, and the 01' 6R is my first bike, I've found myself in this forum being able to join some nice discussions about how carbs works or getting more out of the riding styles. Here is my opinion about what you've said.

Honestly speaking I think that "faster" riding has a lot to do with experience, skills, motivation and the bike. I think the upper part of the bike means a "bit" more than the bike itself. I am definately sure that a better suspension might make a bike more ridable, but a 10% of the riders on this forum will be capable of riding circles around the other 90% (or the below 50% let's say), with almost any functional bike that the riders around here are owning, from a 90s model to the out of stock 04' model.

Many people buy their bikes to be have fun on riding, joy and pride. Some find it on a truck day with any seconds you can gain, some find it smoking cages on a redlight, some find it picking girls from a bar with the looks of their bike.

I am sure if you look through the sections I suggested above you will find valuable information and people to help you the way you want to find your own way.

BTW my bike is still "full stock", even using d207's. I like the looks of my bike, but that does not mean that I am slow...;)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Although I'm a proponent of anything custom (even the occasional real world custom chopper)I have to wonder why you would be so determined to try to modify an already fantastic bike? Do you honestly think you, or any aftermarket company, are smarter than the Kawasaki engineers? For every so-called performance improvement through tweaking or aftermarket parts, there is an equal compromise in another aspect of the overall reliability, quality and performance of the bike. At the fly weight and horsepower levels of the current ZX-6R or RR you are leading the class. If that's not enough for you, maybe you should have bought something else to begin with...maybe hold out for the ZX-10R. The minute you start making changes significant enough to truly make a real world difference in one particular aspect of the performance of an already good bike, it voids your warranty. Then, when your motor grenades at redline the next time you powershift because you just couldn't leave things alone, your dealer laughs you out the door when you demand he replace your motor under warranty. Your $200 power-tweak just cost you $5000...have a nice day. I've read posts on this very board where a $300 Power Commander made the bike completely unreliable and unrideable. Sounds like so much wasted money and time. Maybe folks are talking about how their bike looks, and how to match their helmets and/or leathers to their bike, because they already know all this, and they like to just ride, instead of constantly tweaking and wrenching. I'm definitely NOT a squid, but I DO like projecting a nice image while I ride. When I see a post about how some $5 doodad just gave someone an extra 20 HORSEPOWER!!!!!!! I just skip right over it. I'm not a poseur, I don't pretend to be Valentino Rossi or the Star Boyz, and I faced reality a long time ago: I will NEVER approach the capabilities of a modern 600cc sportbike on the street...which is where I ride. When it's actually running right (rarely) I repeatedly flog GSXR-1000 riders through Deal's Gap on my 99 Buell X1 Lightning. Any club racer will tell you: a good rider on a 636 will beat a mediocre rider on an R1 any day of the week, and twice on Sunday. Maybe instead of pointing your finger and crying "Squid!" you should be looking for posts on this board about improving your riding skills. Your new 6R is faster than you are, bone stock, I guarantee it. The next step is buying quality gear that looks nice. I welcome ANYONE'S input on that topic. Not trying to be harsh, just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
STFU636, if you'll notice he's riding an 01, not a 636, so he's not leading the class. I ask for more power from my 02 all the time as it's just not enough.

He's wasn't asking for an opinion about why he doesn't need more power, but comenting that the board is useless and full of squids.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Point taken...I didn't notice the year of his bike. BTW, my definition of a squid is someone who rides a sportbike with little or no proper gear, in an unsafe manner. Why would a squid be asking about color matching leathers and helmets?

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Like -gary already said, do a forum search.
Most of those older topics aren't on the 1st pages of each forum, so you might have to do a little work to find them.
Looks like you just opened up a can on yourself, man.

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
I like my bike to look good, but I like to ride it hard when I can. I am in no way a master of motorcycling and I believe I'm still learning a lot. This bike has more power than I need right now so I'm not too concerned with making it as fast as a factory superstock bike. As of now, there are a couple performance tweaks I have in mind, but they will have to wait until I have the money. I want to be fast, but above all I want to be a really good rider. It doesn't mean I need to spend all day talking about gear ratios and how to get that extra .1 horsepower by buying an exhaust system that costs 4,000 more. I personally at this time do not feel I'm fully ready for a litre bike or anything more. Nor do I have the money to replace this bike if I take it to the track and wad it up.

Don't take this the wrong way, but not all of us have the money to cover the damage that may happen if we take this bike to the limits. There may be some here, but we're not all squids. We like a good looking bike just like everyone else. You like having a good looking car (or at least good looking in your mind) right? So why is it so wrong to have your bike look trick?

Realize that just about everyone here would like to be the best they can on a bike. We would all like to improve our riding in one way or another. I personally still have a lot of learning to do and I try learning through practice. In the meantime, I like having my bike look good as well by keeping it clean and adding a little something here and there. I don't think this makes me a squid, it just makes me a person that enjoys the sport of motorcycling.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
I'm more for looks then speed. the 636 stock kick ass. 750's and any 600 around all lost to my 636:DI like a eye catcher bike. but that's me

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Hey TwoWheel...

You say you're concerned about performance more than style, but then at the same time you ask why people are more concerned about matching their helmet tot he bike instead of getting their knees down. That right there screams squid to me.

If all you care about is going fast in a straight line, and dragging your knee through every turn, then you're MY definition of a squid. All the guys I go riding with prefer to keep our bikes upright through the corners, and come out of the corners screaming. Can't do that if we're off balance in the apex.

All of us already have our gear, and for the most part, none of it matches. All of our bikes are mostly stock, mine with a couple suspension mods because of the mushy suspension on a stock 250... All of us ride our bikes to the fullest, and at the end of the day, we're all laughing and joking and just happy as hell to have gone riding with each other again.

And they bring their bikes to me when they need any wrenching done. Saves them money, and lets me do what I really love to do, work on bikes. Every now and then I tweek the carb settings on one of the bikes, ,or replace the muffler system, but that's about it. We know our bikes are already powerful enough to make the ride enjoyable, even if I'm riding the slowest bike in the group.

But when we take the bikes to the track, and I bring out the Hawk, there's no keeping up. That bike little by little is getting beefed up in the engine and suspension departments. Again, we leave the track happy as hell, crashed or not crashed.

The main thing is, WE LOVE RIDING!! We spend our time making the ride enjoyable. Screw helmet colors, or polished frames, the latest PC map, or ported heads. Some of us don't have the money to throw away on junk. I know I don't.

Everyone rides for a different reason.
BC.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well guys. You all seem very defensive. Anyone who says that stock motorcycles can not be tuned and modified to be more rideable and more fun have never done it. Every persone rides at a different level and pace and there are things that can be done to even the best stock bike to make it easier and more enjoyable.

I ride on the street, track and dirt and have noticed more performance and fun from things like simply revalving the forks or steel braided lines. I am not asking to have a bunch of people who like their bikes to look good get defensive. I am saying that there are lots of sites out there with good info and I feel like this one may be new and can grow to be better than those. The great riders I know are never satisfied with their bikes and are always trying new things to make them better to ride because that is part of the fun of having bikes. This does not always mean buying a new expensive part.

Have you ever noticed that the Modification page on this site has one posting and it is for polishing rims?

I am trying to be helpful and have begun to post topics that I think may help myself and others so I am being proactive. Lets not just jump on me and instead look and see if we can make a good thing better.

As for other sites like Gixxer.com I agree there are going to be squids on every site and they have had a great deal of time to gather info. Check out TLPlanet too just to check it out.

As for a 2001 versus a 2003 zx6r I can not say until I ride my buddies 636. However, I know 1989 250 riders that could smoke most r1 riders on the track and the street because they are just plain better riders. Not to mention the corner speed.

·
Premium Member
2,387 Posts
"All the guys I go riding with prefer to keep our bikes upright through the corners, and come out of the corners screaming. Can't do that if we're off balance in the apex."
Most of the guys I go riding with have fewer chicken strips than I yet I beat most of em in the twisties. I guess this is a good explanation why.

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
Originally posted by twowheel
However, I know 1989 250 riders that could smoke most r1 riders on the track and the street because they are just plain better riders. Not to mention the corner speed.
You must know some 250 riders that should be racing with the likes of Hayden and E-Boz then... or "most" of those R1 riders are just really shitty.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I dont consider my self to be a squid, i do have a 300+ helmet that matches my bike 400+ jacket that matches my bike, my rims are polished i do have eyes cover on my lenses yes my windshield is painted with graphics etc but that doesnt make me a squid . i would like to drag knees but we dont have to many places here in houston. i do want to take the class but i dont have 1000 + to take it, and yes i do almost all my service on my bike!! im not gonna lie i wish i knew more about bikes but right now thats not my main concern . i thought a squid was someone acting crazy doing stunts in neighboorhood and putting other people life in danger> if thats not a squid someone need to tell me what a squid is.

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
That's where I'm coming from on this. I'm not the most mechanicly inclined person in the world, but I can do services and other odds and ends here and there. I'd love to be able to go out and ride like Rossi, but I've got to take a little more time to learn the mechanics behind it. I'd like to get more power out of my bike, I'm just not sure where to start. I just don't think it's fair to call someone a squid if they ride responsibly and feel that their bike makes enough power for them to have an enjoyable ride. That's all I was saying.

Sorry for getting a bit defensive, just didn't like the way everything was worded. My friend just bought an '02 off of dtmsurf and I would trade mine for it in an instant. It's got great power and the feel I got from riding it was awesome (and I was taking it easy because I didn't know the bike or the area). But to sum it up, it has primer black body panels, numbers from the impound written on the seat and scratches here and there. I'd love to have mine running like that, just don't have the cash right now, so I do the next best thing. Be happy with what I have and suck it up until I get some cash.

I'll get there at my own pace, there's just not a whole lot of area around here for me to really practice on. Las Vegas is pretty much flat and straight.

·
Premium Member
2,387 Posts
twowheel, maybe you should look around a little harder into this forum. Looks to me like you only went into the modifications section and made a general comment about the forum. You are correct about it being a relatively new forum and can grow, but to say that most people here prefer to make their bikes look good over performance is, in my opinion, an incorrect assesment. I am one of the top posters on the site and I have been here almost a year. I have seen thousands of topics on how to improve your bike's performance. Maybe you should do some searches and if you can't find what you are looking for then start a new thread to see if people don't respond. Sometimes topics are so played out that people just do not talk about them anymore and are buried in the archives.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I know from experience that people get tired of answering the same questions over and over. That is usually covered in a frequently asked section or could be posted in the modification section. I looked and found a manual that I could down load and that was great. If something is asked enough can the general or best answer be in a section somewhere?

I will be more vigilant in searching for info, however, it would be great if there was a place with items which are specific to the ZX6R to be posted that I would not know to ask or someone who is new would not know. Like I found that the stock air filter on the ZX6R is as good as an aftermarket filter. That would be great to know as a new ZX6R owner.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.