Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I bought a 2002 zx6r this summer, I love it and rode it the whole summer and now have 2700miles on it. I used it everyweek. Then I went on vacation for 2 weeks and didn't ride it of course for this period of time. When I came back I had a lot of trouble starting it (I hadn't put the fuel tap on 'off'). I tried to jump start, it wouldn't start and then after maybe fifteen minutes it started but as soon as I accelerated it would stall. So I let if start and run very very slowly - under 500rpm - then I rode it and it was fine. 5 days later I take it to work and it again has trouble starting but not as bad...does anyone know what could be the reason for this? is it normal on a new bike? would the fuel pump be clogged because it hasn't been used for a while? thanks for your answers.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Try pulling the spark plugs, and looking to see if they are fouled. Plus, while you're down there, check to see if the air filter is clean. There's no way for a fuel pump to be "clogged", and the chances of it failing from lack of use are fairly thin, so I would be inclined to rule it out.

The fuel filter is another story.

Anyway, start by making sure the engine is getting the three items it needs to run. Air, fuel, and spark.

BC.

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
how long do you let the choke fully open and are you closing it right(the zx6r way)? the fuel tap being left on shouldnt be a problem. thats what ive been told on this board.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
02Kwaker: what do you mean 'do you let the engine warm up first'? do you mean putting the ignition on 'on' and waiting a minute before starting the engine? I couldn't even start the bike so there was no way to let the engine warm up...

I took the bike out for a ride yesterday evening again and it still does the same thing: it starts only if there is no choke, no acceleration and then stalls after running for 5 seconds or so under 500 rpm. I manage to start it after maybe 10 tries but it is really a struggle...I have to go to my 3000 miles visit soon so i'll let them know about it, but thanks for your help and if you think of anything else let me know!

Benjamin

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
I don't know if my bike is typical but it like to start with choke. Not full choke, mind you, unless it is very cold but maybe half. The only time I don't use the choke is when the engine is warm. I start it with choke and a little throttle and as soon as it fires I reduce the idle to about 2,000 rpm and put on my gear. Usually by the time I get to the first stop sign I can get rid of the coke.

When you have a bike that has set long enough for the fuel to evaporate from the float bowls it is a good idea to use a little diesel starting fluid (ether in a spray can) to get it to fire without excessive grinding on the starter. Just a spray into the air intake will make it fire right away. If it dies give it another shot a try again.

·
Registered
158 Posts
by letting the engine warm up, i mean let the bike start, then sit on it and put your gear on, it lets the oil come up to temp. it lets all the parts and peices get lubricated before you start making the engine really "work" to move the bike. its good for the bike anyways. i always let it warm up to around 130F before i start moving. i could be wrong, but i've always been told to let the bike warm up before you start moving.

swjohnsey - you can start it without choke when its warm outside. since its cold it wont start unless i throw choke at it.

·
Registered
158 Posts
also, if your RPMS are only at 500 when you start the bike, thats the reason it stalls. turn up your idle screw. do you add a little bit of throttle when you try to start the bike?

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
Synd, on the newer model zx6r's, when closing the choke it usually starts to die and stall. the zx6r way of closing the choke is to close it a 1/4 and giving it some gas. doing this step until its fully close will prevent it from dying when closing the choke. there was a previous post on how the newer zx6r's have the same flaws. i have a 2001.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Sometimes if people use that crappy fule It could adversly effect the performance of a new bike that has been sitting a while. If you did this only use the Best octane.

vooooorooom!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.