Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 06 ZX6 with Akrapovic slip on muffler about 3 days now. Every morning I let it warm up for about one minute and when I took off the next block when I was changing gears it stall out and restart ok, it only happens once in the morning. After restart and riding is ok. Is this normal for ZX6s? should I let it warm up a little longer? I got a 07 CBR before and I doesn't warm up before I go and it doesn't stall when the engine is cold.

·
Powerhungry
38,368 Posts
its not normal, no.

how many miles on it? the plugs, or air filter ever been changed, checked?

what does it idle at, once warmed up? should be 1300+-50.

theres alot who will say it needs to be really warmed up before you ride. but as long as the gauge is reading(atleast 104*) then it should be ok.

when im pressed for time, sometimes i start out before its reading, but i ride VERY easy until its up to temp...

·
Premium Member
3,573 Posts
I ride mine to work in the morning and some mornings it is only 40 degrees F, no problems here and I let it warm up till it reads a temp. I would have to agree with nevada, check the plugs and air filter. Once warmed up the idle should be around 1300.......good luck and let us know what the outcome is or if there is anything else you have questions on.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Yep mine does this as well. To add to the stuff mentioned above, it could also be caused by a couple of other things things. There could be some pinched vacuum lines or in my case, my throttle body suction is out of sync.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
It's about $300 to do if you get it serviced. You can do it yourself which I am this weekend. All it involves is unhooking the air lines that run to your throttle bodies and checking the pressure with a manometer and rpm reader. Then they adjust the screws on the throttle bodies so that a certain amount of air goes equally through each 4 throttle bodies. You can use the PC3 as the rpm reader.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I got my idle adjusted yesterday, and this morning my bike did not stall when it was cold. They adjusted the idle about 1300k rpm.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm new to bikes, so I brought it in to check it out, but the service advisor (Eddy) at Marin Cycleworks was so nice he adjusted the idle for me and didn't charge me. He also show me how to adjust the idle.

·
Premium Member
15,930 Posts
I'm new to bikes, so I brought it in to check it out, but the service advisor (Eddy) at Marin Cycleworks was so nice he adjusted the idle for me and didn't charge me. He also show me how to adjust the idle.

Dude we're just messing with you!!

:D

We were all newbies at one time or another

:D

·
Registered
734 Posts
it's damn cold in the mornings here at the moment, because we're in the ass-end of winter.

My bike without fail doesn't start first time on these mornings. It revs for a few seconds and conks, but I wait till I hear the exhaust valve servo stop moving, and start her up again, and it goes without fail. I reckon the oil on the walls just need a bit of warming up first, and that's why it happens. Either way, I'm not concerned. It doesn't happen in the summer, or any other part of the day in the winter.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts