Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Try this: Keep everything the same, only add the clutch before you give it gas. Using the clutch will allow for you to get the revs up so when you release it (pop it), the front will be encouraged to come up.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
I've been trying to get my 03 636 to get up while I'm standing in 2nd gear and I'm not having any luck.

This is what I'm trying, going around 80KM/h and then letting go of the gas, pushing down and then giving gas and it just skips the ground, a little popcorn.
I haven't tried it in first because I'm scared of flipping it over because I get pulled back a lot in first gear.

Anyone have any tips or has anyone done it on a 636 (unmodified) in 2nd gear without pulling up.

A computer is only as smart as the person sitting infront of it.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Guess I just have to keep practicing but I'll try it in 3rd at high RPM's.

I don't want to clutch it, I hate clutching because it's costly and it could take you out :)

A computer is only as smart as the person sitting infront of it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I just put a new rear sproket and chain on my 636, three up, that bitch jumps up no problem. Just got to be careful, You wont need to pull at all,..So maybe you can take that stand.

·
Registered
7 Posts
i Have an '03 636. I have only been riding street for 3 weeks but here is what i do. Don't worry about your speed you are already breaking the law so you might as well goes fast. I start in second at about 8000 rpm. Raise your ass off the seat slightly so that you are already at a standing position... Give a small twist of the throttleand then let go. That will bring the front down instead of doing it yourself. When the front is all the way down just crack the throttle and it will stand right up. if you don't do it hard enough the wheel will stay on the ground and will just go faster. Just hit it hard and fast and you will be on your real wheel before you know it. Good Luck

·
Registered
471 Posts
Your own body weight has something to do with it. Try pushing down on the pegs with your feet to load the bike & gas it like crazy.
I'm no where near as good as these guys, but its worked on my R6. I dont really wheelie the Ninja.
+2 rear sprocket would be nice help also

·
Registered
8 Posts
I can stand-up wheelie in 2nd using only bounce
+ throttle , but I usually use a bounce + a little bit of clutch and it comes up really easy ( be ready if you try this , because it will come up right away )

·
Registered
401 Posts
where can i find the minytrker video or does anyone have a good video of the technique for 2nd gear standups. I've been trying every day and nothing. I want to at least do one before the season is over

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Mac. It's all in the bounce really, just practice bouncing, it helps if you have someone that knows how to do it but once I got the bounce down it was easy as hell...just practice bouncing the bike. Make it seem as if you're jumping off the bike, use your legs to help with this, legs are a major part and as you're pushing down, legs and arms give throttle and it should do the trick. Don't pull up, if you do you risk getting a tank slapper when you come down or worse. Just let the bike come up by itself, also when it does come up move your ass back that helps me a lot.

·
Registered
401 Posts
so i should be pushing with my arms and legs, and wot all at the same time? never tried using my arms too, and i've been on the trottle after the bounce. what rpm are you at? I have a yosh slip on so i heard i may need to be at a higher rpm than a stock bike.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
I'm not sure what RPM I'm at. In the beginning I used to get up on the bike going around 60KM/h and then probably roll on the gas slowly until I got to around 70-80KM/h and then bounced it from there, but I held it at that speed for a little while so the shocks could fully expand and then I pushed down, arms and legs and I gave WOT when I was pushing down.

So at 70KM/h
Push arms and legs down, bending legs and arms and give WOT.
Bike should come up. If it doesn't just keep practicing the bounce until you're sure that you're pushing the bike down! That's the key.

Once it comes up and you're comfortable with it you will be up there and you will stop thinking and just doing. It'll become a reflex and you'll be up there and thinking about what's around you, how much throttle you should give it, you might look at your front wheel, just be comfortable, but that's after a while. For now just practice bouncing and just popping it up. The other stuff will come naturally.

Oh and the lower the speed the longer I can ride them out (that's what I notice). I can now bring it up at 60-70KM/h and ride it out until 130KM/h and that's when I'm pretty much at balance point I think.

·
Registered
401 Posts
It worked!!! after about 1.5 months of trying i finally got the bike up in second. I was always bouncing, then getting on the throttle. thanks to beezer. It came up easy the first time i bounce and gave throttle at the same time. now I just have to get used to standing while do wheelies. It is cool that it comes up slow though but It doesn't seem like its possible to keep it up long before hitting the rev limiter. Figures it's supposed to rain the next 5 days so i can't practice.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Congrats mac. Just keep practicing and you will be able to ride them as long as you want soon enough. Just practice and most importantly don't rush yourself and don't do it in traffic because
1. You never know how much room you need
2. God forbid you loop it.

Practice and practice and like I said before. Soon enough you'll be up there and you'll be like "hm....it's nice up here...oh the bike is coming down...need to give it more throttle.." and it'll just become a reflex. I'm serious, it sounds dumb but that's how I feel when I'm up there.

·
Registered
401 Posts
i read that lowering tire pressure can make it a little easy when learning. How low should i go to practice 2nd gear standups?

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
2nd gear standups don't require you to lower the pressure. Slow-Mo wheelie's is when you lower the pressure, you're going around 120KM/h. You want a good tire.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.