Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay, I've been trying to start to do standups, but i have a problem. It's very uncomfortable when i stand up on the bike. it feels way too unstable to start popping wheelies when I'm up there. Is this just a normal feeling at first? how do you get use to it? I'm 6'1" and it feels like the bike is tiny when I stand up. should I just find somewhere and stand up and ride around like that for a while or what?

·
Registered
303 Posts
yes it will feel very awkward at first. I'm 6'3" and can ride standups a couple miles. It felt different at first but once you start gettin used to it you'll love it. So much more fun than sit downs. Try this, instead of standing up before you lift the tire, try doin it all in one motion. and dont clutch it

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
You need to get comfortable with standing for sure. When the bike comes to you, it'll feel a lot more secure than just standing there in the wind.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks guys...yeah i think im going to go out and just ride around standing up for a while and get use to it before i start bringing it up. i have played around with bouncing it but not bringing it up and i was pretty amazed by how far the forks compress. now what do you mean do it all in the same motion? explain that one to me if you don't mind...

·
Registered
303 Posts
what i mean is, start by sittin down then once you get to your desired rpm to do the wheelie simply close the throttle(which compresses the forks) then back on it and at the same time stand up. Just start small until you feel comfortable.. I was doin sit downs pretty good before i tried a standup. Once i got comfortable with standing up wheelies were effortless.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah i can do sitdowns pretty well. i'm familiar with the method you are speaking of but i just wasn't sure how you threw standing up into the mix with it and not lose your balance or something. i guess ill probably just play around with it tomorrow and see if i can get comfortable enough to try and pop it up. seems that you guys would be right in saying that once the bike comes up it should be more comfortable. i guess its all really a confidence game. so in second, on a 636, what's the best point to bounce it up on a standup? i dont wanna clutch it up yet for standups. i'm assuming around the 7-8k range should be good right?

·
Registered
303 Posts
7-8k sounds about right... i ride an 01 and that is the range i would bounce mine up in second.. i definately wouldn't recommend clutching.. its not needed

·
Registered
56 Posts
my friend clutches his 929rr up in third all the time while standing, and usually uses the clutch to pop it up in second cause it gets it up faster, is it bad for the bike to use the clutch to get it up?

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
Originally posted by TheDemonOfMine

my friend clutches his 929rr up in third all the time while standing, and usually uses the clutch to pop it up in second cause it gets it up faster, is it bad for the bike to use the clutch to get it up?

Not if you know what you're doing. I also have a buddy with a 929 who does third gear wheelies and he also clutches them. All it does is gets the front end up really quick without picking up too much more speed. If you wanna do mile long wheelies, learn to clutch them up.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ok here's a new question. from what i hear you guys basically get it up and once its at the balance point ride it out smooth right? How do you do that? i can get it up to the balance point but after that i basically feather the throttle off and on to keep it up, never just steady. although i dont recall ever trying to do that either. when i do wheelies if you watch from the front the front tire bounces up and down about a foot as i feather the throttle. so how would someone go about holding it smooth like that?

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Yes indeed, practice. You will be up on a wheelie and you'll be actually thinking to yourself, oh I'm up...I think I need a little more gas so you'll give a little and then you'll be like 'yeah this is good' and then think about giving some more a few seconds after...that's how it works with me. It's just a weird explanation I don't know...

·
Registered
999 Posts
Just practice all the time. I rode my old 01 6r 18,000 miles in a year and in a half. Once you get used to your bike you will be able to just pull it and hold it, slow down, speed up ,change lanes go around corners all on one wheel. Its just a matter of getting comfortable on wheel. I can pull a stock 6r up in 3rd without clutching it, it just took practice. Find where your comfortable, I like 3rd @105-110mph, for long wheelies, but thats just me.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
(Keep in mind Mini is a freak of nature. ;) You might put 30,000 miles on in 2 months and still not do some of the things he does. All in perspective...)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.