Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I finally gave in, took all those ugly warning stickers off my `04 last night, also removed the Ninja stickers from each side, personally the cursive ninja didnt go witht he blocked Kawasaki and blocked zx6r 636 stickers, so I scraped them, I think it looks much better...

Ordered some Vortex frame sliders this evening, now I'm looking for swing arm spools, I've found some one ebay for $27 shipped, they are made by shogun, looks like thats all this guy sells and the feedback shows everyone likes them, I did a search, but found no info...

So, what spools do you guys recomend? Hopefully you guys like something I can get out of Parts Utld or Tucker Rocky, since I work at a dealership I can get that stuff at cost, but they didnt sell Vortex, so I paid whatever on kneedraggers.com for them, not too upset about that though because the sliders offered from Parts and TR retailed at like $90 and cost was somewheres around $50, so I didnt pay that much more for the Vortex's that everone seems to love...

Any help will be appreciated...

Remember, I'm a newbie, so cut me some slack if I said something retarded...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info, I looked at work today, and I can get Pro-Tech(sp?) rear spools/sliders prob. for about $25ish, does anyone have experience with that brand either?

Went to take adhesive from stickers off last night and ended up tearing the whole back end off the bike, was getting the bolts to match the ones on the front fender where the reflectors go and just decided to take the whole thing apart and I'm going to make my own undertail kit, ordered some mini-stalks for turnsignals, dont think I'll get much riding in the next week or so, so I'll have plenty of time to play with it and make it work.... :)

·
Registered
348 Posts
I has the black Pro-Tek spools/sliders on my 00 7 and I had no problems with them at all. They are a way better deal IMO.

·
Registered
605 Posts
I have the Dan Kyle spools. They are very good quality and the left uses a longer bolt and a spacer because of the mount being offset on that side. Helps prevent a stand from scratching the swingarm.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Spools screw into a mount on the bottom of the swingarm. A rear spool stand engages the spools to lift the bike.

These are the spools for the 2003-2004 from Dan Kyle.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
I have the same set-up as jlamb30. Works very well and Dan ships fast.

joeZX6RR: When you have a rear stand to lift your bike, you either do it by spools, which screw in right underneath the swingarms, or you lift it by the swingarm itself. Many prefer the spool approach.

·
Registered
940 Posts
What's the advantage to the spools??

I'm getting a set of Pitbull stands for the winter....do I really need the spools or will I be fine with simply lifting it by the swingarm?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The dissadvantage to lifting by the swing arm is that you run the risk of scratching the swing arm, might do some searching on here, I've read about the scratching, I havent encountered it myself though...

The advantage to spools is no scratching, plus if you get the slider spools, it will help if you tip her over in the garage, will only help the back though, would reccomend front frame sliders as well...

I thought I read that the swing-arm lift wasnt as stable either? Maybe I read wrong, someone had a great link to a page that explained all the advantages/dissadvantages to both systems, I might search for it and re-post it here for you...

·
Registered
940 Posts
thanks brotha....I figured as much but I couldn't see how it would be that much more stable...

I guess the $25 investment is worth it

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
The stands that don't use the spools have a piece of rubber (basically a piece of hose) to keep them from scratching the under the swingarm. The problem is that the rubber slides on the swingarm. I have a pitbull stand with the rubber protectors and I had my bike on the stand cleaning the wheels and I got some water on the swingarm and bike slid off the stand. I had left the kickstand down so it caught the bike before it hit the ground but it did put some deep scratches the swingarm and scared the shit out of me. When the bike fell I wasn't even near it, anyway I think that's why people say that they aren't stable. Get a stand that use spools they keep the stand in place and your bike off the ground.

·
Registered
940 Posts
thanks fellas, you're alright.....see, I knew the rest of the guys in this forum were all wrong about you two

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.