Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to go take my bike out for a spin today (haven't been on it for a few weeks), and when I went to start it, it turned over 2 or 3 times then made a "clunk" sound and stopped. Now when I hit the ignition switch I can hear the ECU kick in but the starter doesn't move. It sounds like it wants to turn but is stuck. Is the starter bad or is it something else? I just want to exhaust any other possible options before I take the bike apart to change the starter.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I would be checking your battery 1st as it sounds more like that being on the flat side then the started not working give it a go charge it up or push start the bike ride around the block a few times then stop it and see if it starts then if that's not the problem I have no ider

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't think it's the battery because all the guages and lights were nice and bright and they didn't go dim at all when I tried to start it. I also had it on a charger to make sure and that didn't help at all, just did the same thing. To top it off, the battery is brand new this season and wasn't run down at any point so there shouldn't be anything wrong with it. The battery was my first guess too and the first thing I checked, but that doesn't seem to be it. Kinda wish it was, it'd be an easy fix...

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
I just went theough that. It was a fairly new battery and I tried to jump it off and it still didnt wanna do anything. So I thought it was something different, so I took it to the shop. $120 later found to be just a dead battery. Go to Wal-mart get you a battery for about 59 bucks, and try it.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Kilaman. I'll actually just pull the battery and take it to the place I bought it from and have them test it for me. The only thing that bothers me is that it first started to turn over then made that "clunk" sound and just stopped and sounded like something was stuck, and the fact that everything electrical seemed to be working perfectly. Hopefully it is just a crap battery though. That'll save me the headache of taking it in and overpaying a mechanic to fix it.

·
Registered
367 Posts
sounds like it could be hydrolocked? if the float valves at letting fuel through and there was a big pool above the inlet valves, you'll get one or two turns before its sucked up a cylinder full and cant compress it... usually the lights will go very dim when you try to keep cranking it tho?

if you can be bothered, maybe take the plugs out and see if it spits gas out when you try to turn her over. word of warning, gas in eyes = bad [xx(]

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hmmm, now that you mention it, the "clunk" sound it made (the only way I know how to describe it) sounded like it could be this hydrolocked cylinder you're talking about. I have new plugs to put in it anyway, I might as well change them and see if the cylinder spits out fuel. So if a cylinder is hydrolocked, will that cause any damage to anything and/or is there anything I have to do before putting in the new plugs and trying to start it?

·
Registered
367 Posts
trying to push start a hydrolocked bike can bend rods, other than that its ok. if its been sitting hydrolocked for a while then fuel can trickle down past the rings and end up in the sump, contaminating the oil. if you notice the oil level higher or it smells like gas from the filler then probably change it.

then comes the fun part; working out why it hydrolocked in the first place ;) usually its a bad needle valve on one of the floats (the rubber tip can wear) or just some crud holding it open. can also happen if one of the floats is higher or lower than the others

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I'll see if I can get the bike ripped apart this weekend and find out wtf is going on. Hopefully it's not a huge issue. I really don't feel like taking it to the mechanic to have it worked on and paying them tons of money to fix it, but if I have to then I guess I'll just bite the bullet and do it. Thanks for the help NinetySix. I'll let you know what the verdict is...

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Alright, I just got the bike apart and pulled the spark plugs. The tips are dark and the first one was actually wet. That means it's running rich, correct? As for it possibly being hydrolocked, could the wet plug from the #1 cylinder mean it was hydrolocked? No gas squirted out when I pulled it. I removed the starter too and I'm going to try and have that tested. Hopefully I can fix the problem without having to take the bike into a shop, but I'm not holding my breath.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just had the starter and battery tested, and they're both good. I'm stumped now. At this point I think all I can do is put the bike back together and hope somehow the starter just got stuck and will start this time around. Otherwise, it's off to the bike shop. Yay. :(

·
Registered
367 Posts
so the engine didnt turn over when you hit the starter with the plugs out?

if the starter and battery are good, then its probably a minor electrical problem, like a dodgy clutch switch. find the plug that goes to the clutch lever, take it off and use a short piece of wire to bridge out the two outside terminals. that will fool the bike into thinking the clutch is in, so it will happily start while its in gear (dangerous, if your side stand switch doesnt work like mine).

a wet plug isnt always a great sign... great excuse to pull the carbs down and make sure the floats are all set correctly, and that the float valves are good. ideal time to install a jetkit too ;)

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Originally posted by NinetySix
so the engine didnt turn over when you hit the starter with the plugs out?

if the starter and battery are good, then its probably a minor electrical problem, like a dodgy clutch switch. find the plug that goes to the clutch lever, take it off and use a short piece of wire to bridge out the two outside terminals. that will fool the bike into thinking the clutch is in, so it will happily start while its in gear (dangerous, if your side stand switch doesnt work like mine).

a wet plug isnt always a great sign... great excuse to pull the carbs down and make sure the floats are all set correctly, and that the float valves are good. ideal time to install a jetkit too ;)

I haven't tried hitting the starter with the plugs out. Forgot to do that part (yep, I'm a dumbass [:M8]). I have the starter back in so I'll hook the battery back up and hit the starter and see what happens.

I thought maybe the engine flooded when I was hitting the starter since the fuel pump would still be running (correct?), which is what caused the wet plug. Don't know if that's right or not.

As for the jet kit, I may go ahead and do that. If it ends up going to the shop then I might as well have them do it right away while they have the bike stripped down.

Hell, while I have the the bike halfway stripped down, I might as well take it down completely and have the frame, subframe, and swingarm (and anything else that's silver for that matter) powdercoated black and have the plastics repainted. [:p]

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well I just went out and turned the bike over with the plugs out, and low and behold, gas came shooting out of cylinder #1. You weren't kidding about watching your eyes. The first shot of gas sprayed about 3 feet above the bike and some got in my face. I wasn't expecting it to shoot that much LOL. Luckily I was standing behind the stream a little.

Anyway, what is my next course of action? I'm assuming if I put the bike back together it's going to keep doing the same thing, so what do I need to do now?

·
Registered
367 Posts
[:eek:)] gas really, really, really hurts when it gets in your eyes. tastes like shit too [:I]

first step, carbs off, check the float heights are all ok (13mm is stock for a 98, probably for a 2000 too)... check that the float valve is in good condition, make sure theres no junk holding it open.

dont forget the oil change, there would have to be some gas in the oil after this long.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah, gas DEFINATELY tastes like shit. [xx(]

So is checking and adjusting the float height difficult to do? I've never done any of this stuff before, so I wouldn't mind learning, but I don't want to screw anything up either. I suppose since the carbs are going to be out I might as well order a jet kit like you recommended. I'll grab a +4 ignition advancer too while I'm at it. And since the bike is apart, I guess I'll go ahead and get an air induction removal kit and Muzzys aluminum fan too. It's gonna feel like a totally different bike by the time all this is done. [:p]

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.