Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
My bike is a 96 ZX9. Once in a while I get a loud bang when I go start my bike. I let go of the start button and try again and same thing a loud bang from the starter. Sometimes the starter will spin and then Bang or loud Clunk. I have checked and changed the Battery still the same problem. I changed the starter relay and still does it. I changed the starter and still have the problem. Please if anyone knows of this problem let me know. I don't know if I makeing the situation worse, am I doing more damage each time I hear that loud bang/Clunk noise. The worse part is being out with everyone and I go to start my bike and I can't get it to turn over. I have to sit there sometimes up to a minute before it starts. I don't know if this is relivant but sometime I press the start button and the starter trys to turn (like a half a crank) and then stops. Its like the battery doesn't have enough power but I know it does because its fully charged. I even try to start it wth the battery from sears the one that starts your car if your car battery dies and does the same symptoms as with the bike battery. So even jumping the bike don't work.
I know a couple of members said that Kawi bikes have electrical problems but this is rediculas. I mean no recall nothing. Theres a member with a 01 with only 1200 miles on the bike and it does the same thing. Please if anyone can get back to me with an answer I would really appreatiate it alot because I am just going out of my mind. If you could email me at [email protected] that would be great.

Thanks in advance
Anthony

·
Registered
162 Posts
Sounds like you need a starter. Sounds like the bendix is kicking out but not turning but sometimes it catches and starts for you.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Do you think it could be the starter clutch? or just the starter.
Iv'e been asking around and I'm getting either or so I'm just asking.
Maybe someone could say no deffinitly starter,or deffinitly starter clutch.
Also How hard is it to change the starter clutch, whats involved?
The starter isn't so bad to change.
Thanks in advance for all your help.
Also you could get back to me at [email protected]

Anthony

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you go to ron Ayers website. Go under 96 Kawi ZX9. Now click on generator shaft.
In there you will see clutch one way and a bunch of other stuff. The parts are 13194, 16085,92048 and everything else including bearings you see in the picture.
I was told that the starter clutch is on its way out. What happens is the starter trys to spin but the starter clutch gets lockup and in a way jams the starter which in turn makes that loud Bang.
What do you think?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Also if you have a manual go to section 8-15 throu 8-19 thats where they talk about the starter Clutch for those of you that don't know what it is. I hope someone knows about this and can tell me this is deffinitly my problem because the dealer will just keep changing parts until either I'm Broke or they run out of ideas and give me that dumb answer "I don't know what it could be" and now I'm out somewhere in the neighbor hood of 2G's and still have the same problem.
Also if anyone has changed this part or knows something about it can you tell me how difficult it is to change. I want to tackle this problem myself. I'm trying to provide as much information as possible to try and resove this problem for me and others that have this problem.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Originally posted by [email protected]
Do you think it could be the starter clutch? or just the starter.
Iv'e been asking around and I'm getting either or so I'm just asking.
Maybe someone could say no deffinitly starter,or deffinitly starter clutch.
Also How hard is it to change the starter clutch, whats involved?
The starter isn't so bad to change.
Thanks in advance for all your help.
Also you could get back to me at [email protected]

Anthony
Can't tell you exactly what it is over the internet, sorry.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I suspect you have a loose ground or an insulator is cracked. What you're hearing is a loud discharge like lightning. Somewhere there is a gap between positive and ground. Try to start your bike in the dark and look for a spark. Could be the relay? Maybe a short or a wire almost grounding out that is sucking power from the starter when you send the power through it. At least you know it is in the starter circuit. Put that huge battery charger/starter right onto the starter and see what happens. Black to ground and red to the terminal that connects from the battery + terminal.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I hope someone knows about this and can tell me this is deffinitly my problem because the dealer will just keep changing parts until either I'm Broke or they run out of ideas

Sounds like you need to find a new dealer too.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.