Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, new guy here! Just a quick question. What are the steps to (best way to) start my 92 zx7. The night that i brought her home, it took me 10 minutes to get it to start. And then the next day, it would start then die after 2 minutes. Now it wont even start at all...it just turns over. Im guessing it needs to get a tune up (plugs might be flooded and battery seems to be weak). But after tune up. what is the best way to start my bike from now on? Thanks for your time!

·
Registered
270 Posts
Best way?

-Bring bike upright
-make sure it's in neutral
-turn key to "on" position
-make sure both feet are on ground (just in case the neutral light was joking, haha)
-Engine cut off switch turned to "on" position
-push engine start button

Any variations are welcome.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hahahahah!!! thats awesome!!! i get the joke.....the bike has a choke system...and i wanted to know if the choke should be closed all the way and how long do i keep that way...i guess its my fault i didnt put anything about the choke. thanks though...

·
Registered
270 Posts
Gtocha, ya wanted to know about the choke. Haha, sorry it's just with this heat wave the choke hasnt been very neccessary lately. If you're in doubt before you hit the start button put the choke pull on. When you start your bike the RPM's will jump to 4-5K. Close the choke till the RPM's drop to 2K. It will eventualy rise to 3K but keep adjusting it. When you think it's fully warmed up try removing all choke and RPM's should hover around 1K. This was my daily routine until I got the feel for the choke and about how much I would need exactly each time.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks...yeah, i was afraid that the engine was gonna blow cause it spikes upto 7K rpm...i know that it has 13K + redline but the bike is running with a straight pipe right now...and its loud...and thats why i think it was going to blow up. but yeah thanks, adjust the choke when necessary.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
LOL....maybe thats why its flooded right now!!!! i tried to give it gas when it was still in choke. [:M7]

oh yeah, ill keep that petcock on ON.....thanks!!

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok, well i just changed the plugs, and voila it starts!!! the bike starts and stays at 1500 rpm. I was happy for about 20 seconds then the rpm drops until it dies....and when i try to start it, it has a hard time starting.....and one time i took it out of choke, it started and not even 5 seconds it dropped rpm and died....

any ideas on whats up? i just need do it myself fix before i actually take it in to a mechanic to get it checked out.....

·
Registered
270 Posts
Just to eliminate some options, you are using the choke correctly right? Because what you describe happens to me when I dont apply enough choke and so the bike sputters until it shuts off. If the problem is worse then I'm not your man on the ZX7, I just bought mine 2-3 months ago.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i think im using the choke right. I put it on choke. and the choke is all the way down. turn on the bike and wait until it tries to spike up...but i didnt get a chance for that...it just died straight up....i think it needs adjustments or a tune up or just replace something...i think i will just bring it to a shop....

·
Registered
748 Posts
another possibility is that you are giving it too MUCH choke. my carb'd 750 takes ~3/4 choke to start.
my starting routine is: key on -- choke 3/4 position -- hit start button and slight blip of throttle as the engine catches. usually rises to ~3k rpm within 10 seconds, at which time i adjust the choke back to ~1k rpms as i prepare to rollout.
any other variations (other than a *warm* engine) and it won't start, as i just dealt with the other day leaving work. after several tries, i smell the distinct odor of unburned fuel. had to let the bike sit for a few minutes to 'air out'. once i went back to the usual starting routine it fired right up.

·
Registered
748 Posts
btw... do you know if the bike sat for any length of time?? to a certain extent, it sounds like a bit of carb/fuel system cleaner would be helpful. add 1/2 bottle of fuel system cleaner to a tank of gas.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the replies and suggestions...The bike runs again!!!! The person who sold me the bike was nice enough to drive an hour and a half to check out whats wrong with the bike...and to our dismay, it was flooded! So it took him about 30 minutes to get the thing started and now she purrs like a kitten again! We finished up at about 10 pm last night. Right now is 9 am, turned the key hit the start button...voila!!!

I guess there is no need for the choke with this bike....and he told me what to do since he was the one who rebuilt the engine!!! But thanks for the replies, and all i need now is to get the slip on exhaust (vance and hines ss2r carbon blew out the baffles, so now its just an empty can!!!), and the upper and lowers plastics (it still has plastics but there are cracks on all 3 sections) then i should be riding soon...about a week at latest...

So local riders, if you guys want to cruise up somewhere, hit me up and we will ride...

·
Registered
748 Posts
glad to hear ya got it sorted out... and bonus: it didn't cost ya any $$$ or parts.
i take it the bike has a jet kit.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
yeah i know....glad i didnt spend any $$$ just to know that it was flooded...now i can spend the money i saved on plastics and the slip on that i need!

Yeah, the bike has a jet kit, dont know what stage it is though...

Here are some pictures of the bike aswell!
Bike as of the moment....Needs upper, left and right lowers, reupholstery of the seats and replacement vance and hines slip on and im set!

Brothers 06 GSXR 600 and my 92 ZX7

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.