Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 9r, it's my first bike. Got it used and it has about 12,000 miles on it.

I have 2 problems, they might be related they might not.

#1 My bike will not start if it's in gear. If I pull in the clutch and attempt to star the bike I get nothing (yes the kick stand is up). Put the bike in nuetral and it fires right up.

I don't know a lot about bikes, but today I grabbed my shop manual and started testing what I could. I pulled the clutch switch (think that's the right name, the switch that the clutch lever depresses when it's pulled in) harness off and tried to start the bike in nuetral, no ignition. Then I put a jumper on the wiring for the clutch switch and the bike started fine if it was in nuetral. The bike would not start if it was in gear. With the switch "jumped" it seems like it should have started in gear (as electrical the circut is complete which is what the switch should be doing when the clutch is pulled in). So I'm guessing that the switch is not the problem....but I don't know where to look next (IC Igniter?)

I did the IC igniter operation check (per the manual, though to me it seems to more check the wiring as the IC igniter is not even connected at that point) and it says I should get the same voltage as the battery, my battery is reading at about 12.78v and the IC wiring is reading at 12.42v. Is that close enough? Or is that a problem?

Then I did tested the starter button (as described in the shop manual) I get 0.74v and the manual says I should be getting 5-6.1v. It states "If the tester reading is not specified one, replace IC igniter."

Should I just go ahead and replace this? Is there any other testing to do or that's it....the IC igniter is no good? Could this be the reason for my irratic starts?

There's more to this story (see my next post in a few minutes).....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
#2 This problem has been going on for about 3 weeks now, and actually hasn't poked it's ugly head in the lsat weeks or so....but I know it's still there.

Here's the story:

I went out to start my bike (which has been running flawlessly since I got it about 3 months ago) and it wouldn't start. There was no ignition at all. I doubled checked it was still in nuetral, set to start.....tried several more times and pushing the ignition button resulted in nothing, it didn't turn over at all. I tried several things (putting the bike in gear, back to nuetral, flipping the kill switch, turning the key on and off. Still no ignition. The battery is strong as the lights are strong, blinkers work, and the tack/speedometer "jump" when the key is turned on.

I went inside to get a voltometer and try to see if I could start diagnosing the problem. Took me about 5-10 minutes to find the voltometer and I went back out to the bike and tried to fire it up again.....it started right up the first try?????

I road the bike about 10 miles, went in the store for about 20 minutes and came back out to my bike and it wouldn't turn over at all again. So I put the kick stand back down, turned the key off, flipped the kill switch and waited for about 30 seconds. I put the bike back in nuetral, turned the key back on and it fired up the first time again.

I then road around making about 5 more stops at various stores....it fired right up perfect the first time at all the stops. So just those first two times. I got home and started and stopped the bike several more times and it started perfect every time?? So now I'm really confused.

Suggestions on what might be my problem? It sounds electrical to me, as it either won't even turn over....or if it gets ignition it fires right up.

Thoughts? Diagnosing suggestions? Do you think the two problems are related?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
nitrouschris:

Thanks very much for the link!!!!

I guess I didn't put this in my post, but I had already ruled out the starter lockout switch, but sounds like I ruled it out a little too quick:

(post from a different forum where no one has been able to help me)

"Jumped that harness for the starter lockout switch (using the black w/ yellow as the ground) and the bike started right up in nuetral. However in gear it still would not start up (I did put the kick stand up when trying to start in gear, with the clutch in). So from this I guess I can conclude that starter lockout switch is working fine (as a direct jumper didn't do anything).

I hooked the harness back up and I'm exactly back where I started.....the bike starts 98% of the time, but seemingly randomly it won't start at all."

[:1] So it sounds like I just jumped the wrong wires [:I]
[:2] Sounds like I should run a jumper from the two outside wires and leave the middle wire open...correct?

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
No problem! if you can, just pull the switch apart(the 2 halfs just snap together) And clean it real good, and put it back together with some dielectric grease. You would be suprised how simple the inside is. Good luck and hope it works out for ya!

Chris

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looks like the guy before me tried to pull the switch off because the heads of both of the little screws that hold the switch on were stripped. I tried an easy out, but the heads of the screws broke off. So I had to kind of pry the switch off....and in the process the spring inside went flying somewhere in the garage :(

The good news, I hook the switch up with the button out and the bike starts up in gear!!!:D Push the button on the switch in and the bike dies....so the switch is working perfect (I really didn't clean it much). So I'm wondering if:

[:1] The spring had weekend too much so that it wasn't pushing out when the clutch was pulled in
[:2] If it did just need a little cleaning

So now I've got to either go to the hardware store and try to find a little spring that will fit and two little screws (as the other ones are totally thrashed!) or if I should just order a new switch and screws from the dealership for about $25.00.

I think I'll probably just get a new one and be done with it

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.