Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

It was around 3 degrees celsius tonight (~38 farenheit), and I took the bike out to go to supper with friends. Started fine, no problem. After supper, started again fine, rode to a buddy's place.

A bit after still, started again, no problem.

Rode the bike home, opened the garage door, the bike stalled in driveway. OK. I tried staring it again, no go! Pushed the bike in the garage, tried starting it a few time, NO GO !! The gauges go dim and my clock even reset itself once !!

What is this sh*t ? My bike ran (and started) fine all night, but all of a sudden...

Place your votes, is it :

1) By bike IS close to due for an oil change. Is that it ?
2) My starter is gone ?
3) Batterie is drained out (although I can't see why) or my alternator ?
4) Something else

Any help is surely appreciated !!

Thanks all

·
Registered
934 Posts
Okay, when you say that in the garage you tried starting and it was a no go... did the engine crank over and just not fire or did it basically do nothing when you hit the starter?

If it didn't crank or anything, and considering the fact that you say it stalled in the driveway, the clock reset itself, ...with these current temperatures I'd be first looking at the electrical system and more specifically the battery (it's charge and connections) and then the alternator. If your battery is the original it'd be over 3 years old, depending on how you've cared for it they will often without any warning suddenly die.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Human,
Do you honestly believe that NewbieNinja would go to the trouble of this post if he wasn't sure he had gas?!?!? [:M60]
"Nothing to do with ... anything"? If his problem has nothing to do with anything he wouldn't be having a problem now would he!?! [:M60]

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi again,

When I tried to start it, it tried to crank the engine and never fired. Each time it tried to crank it up, the gauges and lights just went dimmer and dimmer and the cranks just went slower and slower...

Yeah, I had gas... (no pun intended). Even tried to put it on the RES to see...

I shoulda mentionned, I bought this week about for months ago, and it`s my first bike (hence the name NewbieNinja). It ran fine until this mishap tonight... So I don't know if it's the original battery...

Would the plugs be another possibility?

·
Registered
47 Posts
hey,
i had a similar kinda problem with my bike, had some trouble starting it on mornings, had to push start it. it idled really low, that kinda biz. finally one day it stopped, for no appearant reason. turned out one of my battery connections had come loose.
i'd say check for obvious faults on your nike before talking about new started motors and batterys. as loose wire, a wobbly fuse etc so on and so forth.
Glenn

·
Registered
934 Posts
Hey Newbie,
Assuming that you haven't been cranking the engine for an hour...
I strongly suggest looking at that battery. From what you've described it sounds like a dying/dead battery. It may measure approximately 12 volts but as soon as you put a major drawn on it (such as the starter) it drops severly. Time for a new battery man!!

If it were the plugs it would crank fine and just not fire, but condsidering as you are cranking it's getting slower and slower and your guage lights are getting dimmer and dimmer... it's the battery man. (My dad has had this same problem a couple of times with his 1984 Honda Shadow, exact same symptoms and both times it was a bad battery which was then replaced!)

A simple way to test my battery theory would be to jump start the bike with another vehical, if it was the battery it should run fine.

[8D]

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi again,

Well, went into the garage this morning, expecting the same behaviour as yesterday night (or even worse)... BUT

It started on the first try ! Then it stalled cuz the choke wasn`t on and it was pretty cold. But I started her again, let it warm up and it ran normally.

Could it be just the temperature factor ?

My buddy had a theory: It was pretty cold last night, and did about 15 minutes of highway driving before I stalled it and tried to start it up again. He thinks my starter would've maybe been too cold ? Is that even possible ?

Anyway, I might invest in a new battery next year anyway. It's getting pretty close to storage time.

Thanks all for the advice.

·
Registered
271 Posts
You may have been hit by the phenom called "carb icing," where the carbs get frosted over due to the weather. Gone from the fuel-injected ninjas. You might want to do a search in these forums on the subject :)

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
What the hell do carbs. have to do with the lights going dim and the clock resetting. I mean obviously the battery has lost connection to the gauge cluster at some point, that is the only way the clock will reset itself. Well, not the only way if the battery voltage were to drop low enough and not lose a connection it would reset itself. This guy has definitely got a dying battery or a loose connection.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Hahaha, I too was curious about the carbs somehow magically effecting the dimming guage lights and clock reset...!?! [:M99]

Glad to see that the general thinking is toward the battery and it's connections. [8D]

·
Registered
3 Posts
Cold temperatures will cause a battery to lose a charge at an accelerated rate. If you indeed left your bike outside in near freezing temeratures both at dinner and your friend's, then I would certainly say battery. Odd though, because your alternator should have recharged the battery on the way home, but none the less it is the battery. Spent 5 years in Alaska, so I know all about the cold and I also had my bike up there which is the same as yours.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well,

I finally got back to my bike today and tried starting her again to see. She wouldn't, doing the same thing as before (cranking slower and slower, guauges going dimmer and dimmer).

This time, however, I took off the seat and could hear (and feel)some "clicks" from the relay thingy that's between the battery and the fuse box.

Went to the dealership to ask the mechanic if the relay thingy was broken, and he said it should definitely be the battery.

I also checked the battery with a multimeter and it listed at 12.1 with nothing on, 11.7 with my key turned to ON (gauges only) and went down to about 5-8 when I tried to start it.

So, all in favor of battery ? I !

Hehehe.. anyway, I tucked her in for the winter and she's sleeping.

Thanks all.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.