Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well Ive had to sit my bike outside for two weeks with no cover. I make sure to move it around every other day and to start it. With all the rain we been getting though I missed a couple. Went out today and I can only get the bike to start on choke and can't keep it running. Any throttle and it dies or won't start. If I put it on prime it fires up faster and at a higher rpm but dies jut the same. Do I need to just clear the carbs out or do I need to worry about a major problem.

·
Registered
132 Posts
really i might just try changing the spark plugs. short runs make the plugs life time go fast. its trying to get a good spark but it sounds like a know go. only sitting for a 2 days or so its not going to be anything bad. and its not like the fuel set long enough for it to go bad. the only bad thing it could be close to is gas tank liner coming off inside but that is a HD thing

but any way check for more post on this i know other guys have had issues about starting after sitting check what they did.

·
Kawi for Life!
1,610 Posts
Spark plugs maybe... but carbs could have some build up in them. Bikes tend to build up gunk really fast. Just my humble opinion.

·
Premium Member
22,797 Posts
The carb'd bikes tend to get gummed up really quickly now adays when they sit. Although the 10% ethanol that a lot of states put in the gasoline works great to keep things clean, when it sits for a couple of weeks it starts to break down petroleum that has slowly built up in the tank and lines. If it's running with the choke only it's most likely because the main and pilot jets are just gummed up then.

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
Also something to consider is water in the tank. if it was raining hard some water may have somehow gotten into the tank, and it will seperate to the bottom of the tank and make her run like hell. you can test this by pulling the fuel line and draining some into a clear jar, and letting sit for a few minutes and see if the fuel seperates. Just my $ .02

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Now this is where you guys tell me I can buy I product that will clean the carbs without haveing to take them apart. Ive done it before and it sucks and takes to much and space to do it properly.

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
I have used sea foam in the tank of some older bikes with some luck. I used 1/2 can per tank, and noticed some improvement. I dont know if it will clean really gummed up carbs or not, but I have had good luck in the past with it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Is it possible that the fuel pump isn't working? Can the bike still sputter start from gravity feeding fuel in.

·
Premium Member
22,797 Posts
Have you looked at the inline fuel filter on it? It's a canister right after the fuel pump with a 90 degree bend. Try hooking up a length of tube from that to a fuel can and clicking the ignition to 'on' and see if fuel pumps out :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well you guys were right. A HUGE amount of water was in the fuel. Probably 10oz. worth so I drained it all finnally got the bike started. It ran like hell for about 10min then purred pretty.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts