Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im at my wit's end. I cant seem to break loose the t-30 bolts. ive heated up the whole stator along iwth the wiring for more than 25 minutes in the oven at 500 deg F which should in theory already melt the red loctite, but it still wont budge. and because its so hot, the bolts get hot, and if i force it it strips the t-30 shape. so im back to trying to melt the loctite.

i dont have an impact driver, but i figured if i cant melt the loctite and loosen it with a ratchet, im wondering if the impact driver is really gonna make that big of a difference without stripping the bolts and without heating it.

what are my options?

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
alright nvm, 20 more minutes at 500deg worked and they all finally loosened. now im definitely getting some allen head bolts to replace the 4, but do i need to red loctite them back in or can i just use blue loctite this time around?

also, i plan on reusing the old gasket cause i just want to save some money. will i really have terrible problems of leakage? ive done so on cars before without any issue. but if its drastically different, then i suppose i could shell out more money for a new gasket.

·
Registered
63 Posts
They're stubborn little f*ckers aren't they ? Personally I would and always have used some loctite, its peace of mind you know... If you're using allen bolts then it shouldn't be as much of a problem, you get a bit more purchase on them with a decent allen key so it shouldn't be as bad if you have to do it all again. You can re-use the gasket if there's no damage on it or either of the metal surfaces, I usually dress up the castings with a bit of 800 / 1000 grade wet+dry paper first, just to remove any dirt etc. Clean the gasket too, you could also apply a bit of Hermetite or similar but it shouldn't be necessary if the gasket and castings are good. It's always better to get a new gasket if you can but I've found that you can re-use the originals if they're in good condition with no issues, my stator gasket is the original and no leaks yet ???

·
Registered
16 Posts
I tell you how i took the t30 bolts out just incase it helps for next time. Frist I pulled a cooler over to the side of the bike beacuse the cover was still attached by those wires. I was able to put the cover down on the cooler. i went a bought a I got a t30 head for my ratchet from the auto parts store. than i got about a 18 pipe i had laying around and sliped it over handle of my ratchet for more leverage. while i held the ratchet down on the bolt and the stator cover steady i had my GF grab the end of the pipe and pull. was pretty easy with the extra leverage and me able to hold the cover steady.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts