Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so I got into a minor accident but screwed up the bike bad enough... basically I cracked the (left side) stator cover on my zx-6r 06. The oil spilled out. I obviously need to replace it. I'm new to the bike game but am pretty handy with cars so I'm thinking of just buying the part and replacing it myself. Anyone have any advice. I asked a local shop and they told me hopefully a coil in the generator hasnt gotten messed up. But if not it should just be a simple off and on job. Then add oil and I should be good to go... any help would be appreciated for this newb. Thanks.

heres a pic of the damage.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Fix it yourself. I was gonna fix mine but they were just scratched not leaking. I am not a mechanic, but I have done all the maintence on my bike. Except for the free oil changes :D Just make sure you get all what you need to repair it from the dealer and you will be fine. If the coil in the generator was messed up you will know. It would be hard to start the bike. I would just invest in some of the these after your done.
http://www.ermaxuk.co.uk/pages3/dbc.php?bikecode=188&product=456

Im gonna purchase these instead of New clutch and stator cover. They are nice, wonder if they are made in carbon fiber by somebody else?

·
Registered
314 Posts
Replace it. The only "heads Up" I have for you is that the stator itself is mounted to the cover by some TORX head screws and you'll need the appropriate tool for that. Its on there real tight AND with thread locking compound A.K.A "locktite" (the RED one too). Atleast that how it was on my 03 but Im sure its the same for the 05-06.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I had scratches on mine as well, about as bad as yours. If your bike starts and runs for a while without any problems your good. A new cover, plus gasket is about 110.00 depending on your dealer/stealer... I fixed mine by just sanding it down so its smooth and then going to color rite ordering the can of spray paint, taping and covering the bike REALLY WELL, meaning dont get lazy tape that shit up and then spraying it. It took me ten minutes total and you cant even tell that there was any damage to it. Total cost about 35.00.

who do ya love, thats right the Red baron
[}:)][}:)][}:)][}:)][}:)][}:)]

Ride on baby
[}:)]

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yes the oil spilled out from it (cracked) so It has to be replaced. Once the bike fell I tried starting it and it was a no go. So I walked it a bit and tried again and it started but then I stalled. the rest of the oil spilled out as a result. and each time after I tried the lights would dim.. Haven't tried since.. I just hope it's the cover I have to replace and not anything else. Thanks guys.

BTW Red baron NICE PIC ;)

·
Registered
287 Posts
I tried changing the cover, it's pretty straight forward.....got 5 out of those 6 damned screws out..I messed up the 6th big time so I had to bring the bike in to the dealer....the cap was scratched but otherwise pretty much intact so I rode the bike to the shop...once I got there I noticed that oil was leaking from that place where the wire comes out from the cap...if you do it yourself remember to put some sealant there.....

·
Registered
119 Posts
Yeah, Do it yourself...its a fairly simple job...like said above though, when you place the little rubber piece holding the wires back in the notch, make sure to use some silicone. You'll also need to take the pins out of the old stator cover if they come off with it. Just take your time and it will be fairly easy. Also, so you know the cover is held on magnetically, so even if you have all the screws out, it may seem hard to pull off, but just keep at it...it will come off. Don't forget a new gasket too, whish is only $5 or so. Have fun!!!

·
Registered
474 Posts
definately go with an aftermarket cover. the woodcraft is nice, and NRC should also make a cover for this bike... I put an NRC on my 96 and 01... Fortunately neither of those bikes had the torx head. Use a socket driver, make sure you are using the right size bit, and make sure that bit is seated as straight as possible so you dont strip anything..

·
Registered
287 Posts
I scratched mine up and being anal retentive thought it would be a good idea to replace it. I can tell you what not to do and it is pretty easy! Either drain your oil first or just let it leak out if anymore remains. Take off the side fairing and unscrew all the hew bolts. The cover is held to the engine by a strong magnet so it's a little hard to pry off once the screws are out. Once you get it off a bunch of oil comes out, so just make sure you clean it up afterwards. Like somebody already said, the stator coils are mounted to the stator cover with those damn TORX screws AND red locktite. They are a bitch to get out. I stripped the torx screws due to the locktite. I'd suggest trying a vice grip on them. Buy some new torx screws to mount into the new cover as you will probably trash the ones in there getting it out. Once out mount it to the new cover with locktite. You also need a stator sealant to seal the rubber piece that the electrical wire comes out of so it won't leak oil. Finally, make sure you have a new gasket! I didn't and it will leak oil! put the gasket on and make sure none of the gears have slipped off from inside and then mount her back on. Be careful when tightening the bolt to the cover...I busted one off easily by overtightening and had to drill it out. All in all if I had it to do again it is pretty easy. Just make sure you have the right stuff before you start:

1. New cover
2. 2 replacement dowels (they help align the cover before you screw it back in. I trashed the origional ones removing the cover).
3. Replacement torx screws for the stator itself
4. Stator sealant
5. New Gasket
6. Maybe a couple spare stator screws incase you break any like I did
7. More oil

It's all in the service manula if you need pics.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
you guys have been a great help. I hope I dont strip any screws. not many places i can get replacement parts around here. but Ima look. Thanks for the heads up everyone!

P.S. HOT MOM

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
ok so I'm hopefully going to try and tackle this project today wish me luck. Hope i dont strip any bolts. cant afford any mistakes. not extra parts.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Originally posted by mrfeee1
ok so I'm hopefully going to try and tackle this project today wish me luck. Hope i dont strip any bolts. cant afford any mistakes. not extra parts.
Order off the net.....if anything goes wrong and you don't have extra parts you're screwed......

Pretty much the only thing that can go wrong is with the gasket and those damned screws......inexpensive parts...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.