Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So naturally I finance a motorcycle...then run up a major credit card bill buying shit for it...and then I lay it down...so I shell out another $120 for a stator cover and gasket just so I can get running again and the following happens....

I kind of expected this because after reading all the other posts of stator installs "everyone" has had this problem. I tried vise-grips and forcing a T-40 in the T-30 hole but no go. I'm probably just going to take it to the stealership and let them remove it. One question...if you look at the coil just under the bolt I think I nicked on of the pieces of cord. I'm not sure if its cut all the way through but it's definately partially cut...am I f*cked or can I still use it? (I know arcing the oil-rich environment isn't good but can I get away with it?)

·
Powerhungry
38,386 Posts
these bolts are loctited in. the trick is heat. use a propane torch. CAREFULLY. it prob too late for you. but for others. u still might be able to get it out. drill it, use an easy out. and heat it just prior to trying to remove it. thats all the stealerships going to end up doing. might as well save some money.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
I pretty much knew what this was about when I looked at the title. Ask the dealer you take it to. And when you put it back together, go get some regular allen bolts instead of those stupid torx bolts.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I trashed the cord on mine as well, and stripped the damn torx screws. Since the cord was jacked, I just coughed up the extra 300 bucks and bought a whloe new stator. Not sure if it would have worked or not, but it made me nervous to try. I agree, if you get a new one use a hex screw instead!

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
refer to the manual, there must be a way of checking the resistance in the coil in the event of damage, beats fitting it wasting a gasket and having to take the thing of again.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
I wonder since its not nicked all the way through if it would be all right. If you dead set on saving money now, and are able to get the bolt out, you could maybe dab a little varnish or something over the exposed part of the wire to insulate it.

I'm sure its covered in some sort of acrylic lacquer, but I don't know where you could get some unless you know of a shop somewhere that winds electric motors or transformers, becuase they would use the same sort of stuff on windings for those as well..

If it were me and I could get the bolt out...Iw ould try and find something to insulate that exposed part and try it....before I shelled out the coin to the stealership. Did you check ebay also?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.