Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
It's actually safer in China where it all began at the moment, so I guess we are going to be fine in a couple of months max (famous last words).

·
Registered
338 Posts
It's actually safer in China where it all began at the moment, so I guess we are going to be fine in a couple of months max (famous last words).
I may have been one of the first Americans to be infected with this. It was the last week of January and the first identified case was near the school that I was interning at. Unfortunately, I'll never know for sure as testing wasn't available and it didn't even cross my mind that the weird cold I was having could have been this strain. I've never had a cold that bad in my life. I was nearly completely wiped out for 4 days, had no apetite, had a fever, sore throat, extreme congestion and difficulty breathing.

I live in Seattle and had been interning just outside of Everett, which put me smack dab in the middle of where that first identified case was living.

I strongly recommend that people do what they can to avoid catching it. I was lucky, in that it was relatively mild for me, and that bed rest and huge amounts of fluid was enough for me to recover on my own. But for older people and the vulnerable this can be fatal. From what I understand, they have identified an antiviral that might work against this, so fingers crossed that if we keep doing our part to avoid spreading it further, that there will be enough doses produced by the time it really hits that we can avoid having the problem they've had in Italy with services being swamped.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
I am glad that you got over it whatever it was, we can only stay indoors and hope not to become Italy :cry:

China is a vast country and the curve was flattened in two months and they were strikken without warning too.

We will make it!

·
Registered
338 Posts
I am glad that you got over it whatever it was, we can only stay indoors and hope not to become Italy :cry:

China is a vast country and the curve was flattened in two months and they were strikken without warning too.

We will make it!
In terms of land area, China is vast, it's roughly the same size as the US. However, the population density is much, much higher, which is part of why they had to institute such strict quarantine. Even the "small" villages that I was primarily living in when I was teaching there would have nearly 200k people and most of them were living in apartment buildings. In the bigger cities, it wouldn't be unusual to have dozens of people waiting on the corner to cross major streets during peak hours.

If people in the US, heed the call to engage in practices to flatten the curve, we're likely to avoid having a situation where people have to be stuck in doors for months on end. My coworkers from that last job I had over there, have been stuck indoors with basically no outdoor time for over 4 months at this point.

If we're lucky, there will be medication to help treat the severely ill in coming months and the longer we hold off the possible tsunami of patients, the more likely there will be the necessary gear and medicine to treat them.

It's rather unfortunate that some people on the right are choosing to ignore the recommendations. Here in WA one of the notable horses backsides has taken it on himself to organize large gatherings after the state GOP opted to cancel their meeting in order to reduce risk of them infecting each other.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Yes, densely populated was what I meant in the first place. In China of course government mandates are follow them or else while in the West are more like recommendations. But trust me, desperate situations cause similar reactions, I just hope not to reach this point.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's rather unfortunate that some people on the right are choosing to ignore the recommendations.
Speaking as someone on the right. And I'm not trying to start a corona war. I just think reasonable precautions can be taken with out a lot of these government imposed mandates put in place. Right now I don't even see how it is as bad as the flu epidemic, much less worse. If some of the "experts" predictions come true, saying before it is over 40%-60% of Americans are going to end up getting this anyway, was putting the country at risk of a major recession worth it? Not that I really put any stock in what the "experts" are saying.
In my country 10's of thousands of people die each and every year just riding motorcycles. If we were to make it illegal to ride MC's here, we would in fact save thousands of lives every year. No one can dispute that fact. So should we just go ahead and do that?

·
Registered
338 Posts
Speaking as someone on the right. And I'm not trying to start a corona war. I just think reasonable precautions can be taken with out a lot of these government imposed mandates put in place. Right now I don't even see how it is as bad as the flu epidemic, much less worse. If some of the "experts" predictions come true, saying before it is over 40%-60% of Americans are going to end up getting this anyway, was putting the country at risk of a major recession worth it? Not that I really put any stock in what the "experts" are saying.
In my country 10's of thousands of people die each and every year just riding motorcycles. If we were to make it illegal to ride MC's here, we would in fact save thousands of lives every year. No one can dispute that fact. So should we just go ahead and do that?
The point you're missing is that those are estimates based upon modeling that's being done based upon assumptions about how people travel about and diseases spread. We have a choice, we can either put into place rather extreme measures to slow the spread, or we can allow huge numbers to die as we run out of space and equipment to treat new cases.

There really isn't any question that this has to be something the government does. The Florida governor refused to shut the beaches and the restaurants and spring break is going more or less as normal. Those idiotic college students are going down there, ignoring the recommendations and they'll bring back the illnesses they caught to their own communities, accelerating the spread of the disease.

Having 90% of people contracting something over the course of several decades isn't much of a problem, having 30% of people contracting a serious illness over the course of a few months, is. The goal here is that the longer we drag this out, the more likely that we will remain within our ability to provide care and the more likely it is that we'll have an effective vaccine or medication for those severe cases. The last thing anybody should want is this kind of narcissism and selfcenteredness to take what could be a big deal and turn it into what we're seeing in Iran or even Italy where there are people dying due to the inability of the system to cope with the increased demand for service.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
^Alright I'll touch on a couple points with you. The "self-centeredness" you mention is a 2 way street. IMO most if not all people agreeing with government actions are the ones that can actually afford to do it.

If you believe what you say, I guess you would be for a mandatory nation wide lock down every year when the flu season rolls around and we lose ~20,000 lives to that.

·
Registered
338 Posts
^Alright I'll touch on a couple points with you. The "self-centeredness" you mention is a 2 way street. IMO most if not all people agreeing with government actions are the ones that can actually afford to do it.

If you believe what you say, I guess you would be for a mandatory nation wide lock down every year when the flu season rolls around and we lose ~20,000 lives to that.
It doesn't work like that though. This is likely a once in a generation quarantine in response to a new and not fully understood threat. The best number I've seen as of this time is that this new virus kills roughly 1.4% of those that are infected. At that rate, it's well within the possibility of it killing 200k people in America alone. It may also mutate in a way that greatly increases the death rate, one of the other related corona viruses has a mortality rate of about 30% and you do not want something like that spreading globally. The real question is whether these efforts to slow things down can drag it on long enough that an effective medication can be found and additional ventilators and related supplies can be manufactured that everybody can be treated.

Not to mention the fact that the flu does have vaccines that are generally available every year to treat most of those that would likely get it and for those that do get it, there are medications that are known to increase the likelihood of serving. There's no way we could afford this level of disruption every year in response to the flu. At least, not the ones that have been circulating.

Calling it a 2 way street is intellectually dishonest if you haven't got any numbers to back it up. The only reason why you'd see that happening is if they have no faith in the government to ensure that they had the food and supplies needed to ride it out. It's likely a false bravado coming from a lack of alternative means of feeding themselves as you can starve to death over the matter of a couple months if you've got no food.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
A few hundred recorded cases and 17 fatalities in Greece, most of them very old and already suffering from other conditions yet everything is closed and I need a permit to go shopping for food or else I pay like 200 bucks on the spot. We are in the top three "cleanest" European countries according to outbreak numbers. Better safe than sorry I guess!

·
Registered
338 Posts
A few hundred recorded cases and 17 fatalities in Greece, most of them very old and already suffering from other conditions yet everything is closed and I need a permit to go shopping for food or else I pay like 200 bucks on the spot. We are in the top three "cleanest" European countries according to outbreak numbers. Better safe than sorry I guess!
Here all non-essential businesses are being closed within the next 48 hours. It's really unfortunate, that the incompetence of the current administration allowed things to get so far out of hand. We should have had enough test kits to test everybody and then go test everybody they had contact with in the week before they were tested.

Personally, I'm hoping to get a job at a local grocery store, just to ensure that there's somebody there stocking shelves so that people have access to food. Things haven't gotten super-bad on that front yet, it seems to mostly be toilet paper, bottled water and dairy products that the stores are out of, but depending upon how long this goes on, we may see other shortages. The local grocery store has been rationing paper bags at check out, even though we already have to pay for them, just to ensure that they don't run out, if the supply chain starts to get stressed.

The best thing really is for people to be careful about doing things to avoid spreading this around, at least until an effective treatment is found for those that get the most serious symptoms.

·
Registered
28 Posts
That's impressive, especially if you consider how close you are to Italy. I hope you are still doing well because here we 've had almost 1000 deaths in one day and Johnson taking in oxygen in the ER and it doesn't look good at all :cry:

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
That's impressive, especially if you consider how close you are to Italy. I hope you are still doing well because here we 've had almost 1000 deaths in one day and Johnson taking in oxygen in the ER and it doesn't look good at all :cry:
Still doing well indeed, 83 casualties and 1800 confirmed cases, the number of cases and deaths is going down gradually but we are continuing the lock down to April 27. Be careful and safe!

·
Registered
338 Posts
Because motorcycles aren't risky enough, I've taken a job working at the local grocery store. :p
My doctor informs me that I should be able to finally get the covid-19 antibodies test sometime in the next month. So, I'll hopefully find out that I've already had it and have some level or resistance/immunity to future illness.

Locally, it looks like we've been doing a good enough job with the social distancing that they've halved the projected death count. It's still in the hundreds, but they were expecting over a thousand. fingescrossed knockonwood

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
So the situation in Greece seems to be fine, only 11 new cases throughout the country today and less than 20 per day the last few days.

About 100 casualties overall and less then 70 people still intubated.

We've flattened the curve and the lockdown will be gradually lifted starting April 27 :)

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
First day at work after almost two months of lockdown!

Most limitations were raised a week ago in Greece and today the market has opened again with a few simple rules for workers and clients.

Zero fatalities and just six new cases yesterday and the numbers look very good indeed for the future.

Waiting for the intraprefectural commuting to open in a few days in order to hit the beach :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts