Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Yesterday I replaced my beep beep OEM horn on my 2006 ZX6R with a Stebel Nautilus Compact Motorcycle 139 dB Air Horn. All I can say is WOW!!!! That thing is freakin loud!! I probably couldn't stand it without my helmet on but it sure makes people notice you.

Another thing I found was that our bikes have a small tab on the left side of the frame under the upper inner fairing. This tab supports the upper inner fairing but it also has an additional unused hole that is perfect for mounting the Stebel Air Horn. I had to grind a small portion of the bracket to mount the air horn but it was minor grinding.

See drawings attached.

I used some washers to space out in other words move the air horn down to clear the upper inner fairing. After installation you can't see the horn from the outside and the wires run back under the seat where I installed a relay to power the horn. You can barely see the air horn from the outside and I mean barely. But since I got the black air horn in blends in nicely with the black upper inner fairing.

Very easy installation.

I wish I had pictures of the installation but with 102 oF weather I barely survived working in the garage let alone take pictures.

If anyone has any questions let me know and I'll try to answer them as soon as possible.

Again this is an awesome spot for the Stebel Air Horn. When I saw the tab with the unused hole I almost jumped! I couldn't believe my eyes! The spot was perfect!!

:D

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
I've always wondered how to install one of those onto a bike...I didn't even think it was possible because they didn't make one for our bikes (or I think...)

·
Premium Member
15,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As long as you use a relay to power the horn and use your horn button to power only the relay coil you're OK.

BY the way our horn button supplies ground to the OEM horn so I used it to supply ground to the relay coil.

·
Premium Member
15,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK Guys and Gals!

It took me a while to get the dB readings but here they are, I'm no sound expert/engineer but these are the readings I got:

Reading #1) The dB meter was placed 3 FT in front of the bike and 3 FT off the ground: 80 dB

Reading #2) The dB meter was placed 3 FT in front of my wife's 2007 Mustang and 3 FT off the ground: 78 dB

As you can see both the Stebel Nautilus Compact Motorcycle Air Horn and a factory OEM Ford Mustang horn are about the same at a distance of 3 FT. Although we still did notice that the Stebel Air Horn is slightly louder and it sounds awesome.

By the way I had to use it this week, a white pickup truck was cutting through lanes of standing traffic at a traffic light to get into my turn lane. I blasted my horn and the driver immediately stopped and looked right at me. He had an expression of surprise on his face, I guess he didn't see me coming and was able to stop. Saved my butt!

I highly recommend it.

·
Premium Member
15,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Here's how the relay works:

HORN BUTTON NOT PRESSED
TERMINAL 85 NOT GROUND BY HORN BUTTON
+12VDC INPUT POWER APPLIED TO TERMINAL 86
+12VDC INPUT POWER APPLIED TO TERMINAL 87
COIL DE-ENERGIZED:
NO POWER ON TERMINAL 87a
NO POWER ON TERMINAL 30

HORN BUTTON PRESSED
TERMINAL 85 IS GROUNDED BY HORN BUTTON
+12VDC INPUT POWER APPLIED TO TERMINAL 86
+12VDC INPUT POWER APPLIED TO TERMINAL 87
COIL ENERGIZED:
NO POWER ON TERMINAL 87a
+12VDC POWER ON TERMINAL 30 TO STEBEL NAUTILUS HORN

:D

·
Registered
253 Posts
I had one of these on my Katana and have been planning to put it on my '06 636. (I kept it when I sold that bike.) I did a track day this weekend and while putting my street plastics back on, I'm going to go ahead with this mounting method.

Thanks for the post OP!

BTW, you are right, people really jump back into their own lane when you fire this off!

·
Registered
187 Posts
Sorry had to do it.
:needpics1:

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
you can see it on youtube...

·
AKA "White Dynamite"
3,935 Posts
I just plugged my Stebel horn up to my stock positve and negative wires. Its been working fine, but I'm no electrician either. :dunno:

I mounted mine in the same place as well using some spacers I had in my tool box..........

·
Premium Member
15,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
That's exactly where I mounted mine. But I did use a relay to power the horn. I didn't want to risk overloading the horn switch or circuit. Relays are very easy to use and they allow you to send a very high current to the horn while only triggering them with the original horn circuit. I use them all the time. If you need some more information on relays let me know.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts