Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Steering Bearings need to be replaced (or so says my stealership). i lowsided my bike about two weeks ago and managed to fix it up myself, but still thought it would be best to bring it in to get the forks/allignment/tires etc checked out. Now they want to charge me $300 to replace the bearings (225 for service and 75 for the bearings). i looked up the bearings on an oem parts site (part 92045 right?) and the bearings are only 20 some dollars not 75. Can i change these bearings myself? And if so can anyone tell me how, or point me in the direction of a How-To. I have a frontstand. Thanks in advance.

·
Powerhungry
38,368 Posts
i wonder what makes them think theyre bad.
they probably just need tightened/adusted.

mine are needing this also. i just planned on possibly taking them out, cleaning, lubing, and putting them back in.
unless ofcourse i see something wrong.

to tighten/adjust them, you need at least a headlift stand. that lifts from under the lower triple.

to remove/replace them, you need to be able to let the front end hang freely. so supported by the frame...somehow.

·
Steve Mcqueen Wannabe!
36,924 Posts
I would let it hang by driling into ur garage roof members and use a ratchet strap ( thats what i did). Whats the symptoms of bad bearings?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
my bike only has 8.5k miles and i havent been doing any wheelies or stoppies on it, so i dont know why they would be bad unless it was from the crash. they said they were very notched up when i called and that it would be unsafe to ride even during the time the bearings are being shipped.

As for replacing them,
I'm sure i could mcgiver some kind of stand to let the front end hang.
But even so, although i have a decent knowledge of mechanics, i know little about motorcycle mechanics. how difficult of a job is it to replace these bearings?

Edit: i bought the bike used at about 3k miles and i KNOW the guy who owned it before me was doing at least a little stunting. theres marks on the front fairing where tire fairing and front fairing were contacting during his stoppies. Maybe he caused these bearings to be so fucked up?

·
Powerhungry
38,368 Posts
I would let it hang by driling into ur garage roof members and use a ratchet strap ( thats what i did). Whats the symptoms of bad bearings?
yep, that would work ;)

i guess its possible theyre damaged. but unlikely. theyre a slow/no speed bearing. the ONLY time theyre turning, is when you turn the bars.
its not like theyre screaming, while ur going down the freeway....

altho, ive never seen them. maybe theyre an unconventional type bearing...
link? pic?

·
Steve Mcqueen Wannabe!
36,924 Posts
I have a spare lower triple with bearings and they look pretty simple to install if it comes to it...

·
Powerhungry
38,368 Posts
I have a spare lower triple with bearings and they look pretty simple to install if it comes to it...
cant tell from that pic.

are they just regular bearings? taper? or roller? or??

my guess tho..is theyre fine, and just need adjusted. like i said, its not a highspeed bearing.

·
Steve Mcqueen Wannabe!
36,924 Posts
Which dealership may I ask? Can u feel anything?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
theyre ball bearings (u can buy taper for it also, but i have ball).

the dealership is Honda of Hollywood on santa-monica blvd just east of highland.

i didnt feel anything before the crash. afterwards i was riding it around my street and at low speeds it seemed to "dip" a little bit when i was turning to the left, but that may just have been my imagination trying to find something. i rode it to the dealership to get it checked and everything seemed fine during the ride. i rode it over laurel canyon (which is decently twisty) with nothing out of the ordinary.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The dealership has always been good to me in the past btw. they removed my old destroyed frame sliders and put the new ones on for free when i brought it in.

And although steering head bearings are low speed bearings (they affect the smoothness of the turning of the handlebars correct?) wouldnt they still affect the smoothness of a turn during high speed turns?

·
Powerhungry
38,368 Posts
The dealership has always been good to me in the past btw. they removed my old destroyed frame sliders and put the new ones on for free when i brought it in.

And although steering head bearings are low speed bearings (they affect the smoothness of the turning of the handlebars correct?) wouldnt they still affect the smoothness of a turn during high speed turns?
well, you shouldnt be TURNING the bars in highspeed turns:D

but yeh, if theyre BAD it wouldnt be smooth. might even catch in places.

mine are loose. altho...seem to be a bit looser...all the sudden. not sure what thats all about.
im just going to get a head stand lift, and tighten them. maybe over the winter pull it down, and repack/replace them.

·
Registered
10,037 Posts
they prob just need the collars retorqued, mine need it done & i'm waiting for the spanner wrench to do it, you want these to be torqued right on the head, too much or too little will toast them, they move quite a bit but nothing drastic

·
Steve Mcqueen Wannabe!
36,924 Posts
Ok , bumping this one. I have a vibration during high speed braking. I just spoke to two mechanics who suggested the be head bearings. Anyone else felt this? What does a replacement run?

·
Premium Member
3,573 Posts
Vibration during high speed braking....try your rotors there, very possable they are warped. Best way to check your steering bearings is to lift the front of the bike by the frame and see if the front end will wiggle, grab the front forks and left and push and move side to side...there should be no movement. If there is movement, best to attempt a retorque on them before trying to replace them. Also you would feel a racheting if they are bad once they are torqued properly.

·
Steve Mcqueen Wannabe!
36,924 Posts
Vibration during high speed braking....try your rotors there, very possable they are warped. Best way to check your steering bearings is to lift the front of the bike by the frame and see if the front end will wiggle, grab the front forks and left and push and move side to side...there should be no movement. If there is movement, best to attempt a retorque on them before trying to replace them. Also you would feel a racheting if they are bad once they are torqued properly.
yeah but the rotors are 2 trackday old galfers. they were lowsided on the first trackday but I thought I would feel something at lower speeds.

·
Registered
10,037 Posts
yeah but the rotors are 2 trackday old galfers. they were lowsided on the first trackday but I thought I would feel something at lower speeds.
i would take off your top triple & try checking the two alum collars that you need a spanner for or screwdriver if thats not handy. or just get the front end up somehow & push the wheel back & forth & check for play in the triple

·
Registered
585 Posts
ive never done street bike bearins but on my motocross bike the top one is easy but the bottom one was pressed into the lower part of the stem connectin to the lower triple...

something tells me more then likely its of th same design... i say best bet would be just to replace them and be safer than sorry for soemthing so simple...i myself did all hte work minus the actually pressin of hte lower one, but all i did was take the lower triple and stem in to a shop and had them remove the old and replace the new

·
Registered
10,037 Posts
the bottom bearings just set in a race, they aren't pressed or anything like that, i just put new ones in yesterday when i put the new triple on my bike

1 - 20 of 21 Posts