Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

Unless you feel the need I would not bother, the GSXR has a non-adjustable one and Suzuki are a bit twitchie about them since the TL1000 drama a couple of years back. None of the other big four manufacturers fit them as standard. My J2 handles like a dream and there are some bumpy, rutted roads here that could set off tank slappers. A damper can very easily ruin the low speed handling and can make town riding a nightmare.

Spend the money on sticky rubber instead, but if you feel the bike is prone to tank slappers and your tyres are the right pressure, condition, etc then fit one and see how you go.

Hugh.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
The Suzukies slapped one on there because they were loosing business because they have the bad wrap of being known for their nervious front ends.
Also not every year zx6r is the same with front tend. My 96 was like a tank and would never give me a tank slapper or even head shake. Your 2000 is pretty stable as well, the '03 636 are also good but needs one more than any other year zx6r would need one.
Bottom line is, If you do a lot of wheelieing, track days, or have to often go over 100mph on not the best roads then you should get one. If you don't do any of the 3 then don't waste your money.

I got the scotts and I love it. go to the aftermarket guide for 03 636 and there is a link to a scotts site where any scotts damper package is only $404. Thats the best price I could find.

Thank God for Guardian Angels... Especially This One!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Is it worth getting one of these babies? The gsxr now comes with it as standard.

How does the zx6r go with tank slap? I've not had one so far, but then again I haven't had it up on the back wheel for too long or too high yet.

It's nice that the j1 has the spot there ready, so I might get myself one. Are there any ones to get or to look out for? How many aftermarket dampeners are there?

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
Steering damper? Worth it? ...Yes

Some people will say they are not necessary, and others will say they are. It is all based on the individual and what kind of riding is intended. I would say you should get one if you can afford to do so. Either way, it certainly can't hurt.

·
Registered
54 Posts
hell yeah its worth it! I bought a hyper pro, not the best but works great!

Wise man once say if it has tits or wheels it's going to cost you!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Originally posted by J1Aussie

Is it worth getting one of these babies? The gsxr now comes with it as standard.

How does the zx6r go with tank slap? I've not had one so far, but then again I haven't had it up on the back wheel for too long or too high yet.

It's nice that the j1 has the spot there ready, so I might get myself one. Are there any ones to get or to look out for? How many aftermarket dampeners are there?

·
Registered
3 Posts
A steering damper is very important on the zx6rr. I have had a lot of tank slaps coming out of the corners at the track. I put a Scotts damper on this weekend and it made a huge improvement at high speeds

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.