Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2006 6R and I have been reading that a lot of people recommed to put a steering dampener on the '06 6R model. i don't have my bike yet so I obviously haven't driven it. Just wondering why people think the bike needs it and if it would make a large performance difference?

·
Registered
109 Posts
The reason for a damper is simple. Whenever the front end of the motorcycle comes off of the ground and comes back down pointing in a different direction than the direction of travel it causes something called headshake which can also result in a tank slapper (steering slamming from lock to lock) which can result in a wrecked bike and/or trip to the ER. If you plan on the front wheel never coming off the ground and riding around on glass smooth roads all day then don't waste your money. :)

·
Registered
735 Posts
Originally posted by natronazx6r
if you don't ride it like a squid, you won't need a damper
That's not necessarily true. I have been on roads riding pretty conservatively and suddenly hit a small pothole and if it weren't for the damper, I may have gone down. Dampers are not only for squids! Pro racers use them, are they squids?

·
Registered
702 Posts
If you've never experienced any type of head shake, then your riding like an old lady. You should problaby just trade in your Ninja for a Harley.[:p]

For those of us that do ride hard, (us squids), a damper makes a world of difference. I'll never go back.

·
Registered
418 Posts
i too must be a squid because i love my damper. i have been riding along and hit a pothole and had the front end go apeshit. the damper was the best piece of insurance i have ever bought

·
Registered
394 Posts
How do you like the hyperpro? Does the build quality seem good? I've read many great things about it, but a few people got me concerned about it, saying it leaks after about a year and is expensive to rebuild.

·
Registered
702 Posts
I sent my three year old GPR (off my dirtbike) to be rebuilt and it was FREE. I think that's once per year for life. Beat that.[8D]

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.