Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
They are useless.
I've been riding for nearly 8 years and never used one until 3 months ago I decided to put a Ohlins steering damper, First thing I notice was that even on the lowest setting when I chucked the bike into a (Lets say a left corner) the damper want to push the bike to the right. And stunting was a nightmare seriously it was harder to drift, donuts and rolling burnouts. So after a month fiddling with other things (As I did not think the damper would cause this) I noticed the damper was leaking so after taking it off and shipping back to ohlins the bike was acting the same as before I put it on.

·
That Fighter Guy
15,175 Posts
Well a steering damper isn't designed for the application your bike serves (stunting and such). It's best suited for advanced track use and handy on really bad roads.

It's not a necessity in my opinion for everyday street riding.

·
Premium Member
15,937 Posts
I don't want to upset you, but if you knew what they were for and what kind to buy then you wouldn't be so upset about the outcome you had. Although a leaking steering damper sure sucks.

BTW Jason Britton more than likely has a GPR Steering Damper (Steering Stabilizer) on his bike since he's sponsored by GPR. .

Stunt Action Shots, GPR Stabilizer

Maybe you should get a GPR?

:dunno:

·
Steve Mcqueen Wannabe!
36,924 Posts
Great thread lol

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't want to upset you, but if you knew what they were for and what kind to buy then you wouldn't be so upset about the outcome you had. Although a leaking steering damper sure sucks.

BTW Jason Britton more than likely has a GPR Steering Damper (Steering Stabilizer) on his bike since he's sponsored by GPR. .

Stunt Action Shots, GPR Stabilizer

Maybe you should get a GPR?

:dunno:
I sure do know alot about them what I trying to get across was they are rubbish and Im good for 1, I rather ride without it. Ive had a ohlins ,matrix ,Gpr and scotts damper in the past on different bikes. The only thing I liked about it was not a bit of tank slap but after awhile the tank slap becomes fun :)

·
Premium Member
15,937 Posts
I sure do know alot about them what I trying to get across was they are rubbish and Im good for 1, I rather ride without it. Ive had a ohlins ,matrix ,Gpr and scotts damper in the past on different bikes. The only thing I liked about it was not a bit of tank slap but after awhile the tank slap becomes fun :)
Ahhhh OK makes sense.

I'd be pissed too if a brand new steering damper was leaking.

;)

But tank slap is never fun!! :eek:

·
Steve Mcqueen Wannabe!
36,924 Posts
tank slap is fun? And you know a lot about them but they are useless? I guess its comes down to preference but about 99.9% of people dont like 'tank slap'.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok I think we are thinking differently, Im highly stoned and bored so decide to rant about ohlins and steering damper.

When I say tank slap I mean (usely when exiting a corner or a small bump in the road) when the front end gives the quick wobble but not full on tank slap thats uncontrollable.

·
Steve Mcqueen Wannabe!
36,924 Posts
So only Ohlins ones are useless?

·
Registered
653 Posts
man those little wobbles arent even fun....especially when your doing 80+ my next mod is going to be a steering stablizer....

·
Premium Member
2,387 Posts
of course this is not yet another thread about the difference between head shake and tank slappers.

·
Premium Member
15,937 Posts
Ok I think we are thinking differently, Im highly stoned and bored so decide to rant about ohlins and steering damper.

When I say tank slap I mean (usely when exiting a corner or a small bump in the road) when the front end gives the quick wobble but not full on tank slap thats uncontrollable.
LOL!!

OK!!

:D

Yeah that small wobble coming out of a corner, if it doesn't turn into a full blown tank slap feels pretty cool. It's like sliding the rear tire too. Both feel cool in my opinion.

Stoned and bored OK we forgive you!

LOL

:D

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Na seriously its not head shake the clip-ons have slightly dented both sides of my tank and no Im not a fan of any steering dampers period. Probley the main reason I enjoy the(lets say)movement of the bike cause both of my superbikes pull like trains so small bump= tank slap+ long wheelie at high speed.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts