Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what's the difference in a side mounted damper vs a top mounted one?
also how much does it affect turning (just having one on that is)
i'm doing research i guess you could call it for when i get a track bike
thanx

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
I don't know any technical differences, but if you have a side-mounted one, and you wreck, it's very possible that the damper will get ripped off and destroyed.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
how about the difference between inverted forks? what's the gain there?

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
The top-mounted steering damper was part of the 916's (that's a Ducati) wholistic approach to an aerodynamic platform. This idea also spawned the underseat pipes that you see on the bike as well. All the work of Massimino Tamburini and his team of engineers.

Outside of that, I don't know what other advantages or for that matter, disadvantages, this set up gives you.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
I don't have a steering damper but the chief mechanic at the California Superbike school swore by the Scotts. If I ever get one that is probably what I will get.

The inverted forks are supposed to be stiffer and have less unsprung weight.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
In theory, a side-mounted damper is a bit more effective than a top-mounted damper because it arrests movement in the direction of steering. For the same reason, you can more effectively steer your bike sitting with horizontal forearms than standing with vertical forearms. In practice, the top-mounted damper also works quite well.

In theory, top-mounted rotary dampers are even less effective at center as they change direction. But they also work quite well on top race bikes, like those of Graves Motorsport.

A proper damper will allow you to adjust it to barely affect turning effort.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Inverted forks are more rigid than conventional forks. They also used to wheigh more, I'm not sure about now though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.