Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone fitted a steering damper to an 05/06 ZX636R? I'm new to the bike but already can see the need for a damper (maybe that has something to do with the appauling state of the roads here in GB. I was thinking of fitting either a Sprint or GPR damper. I've heard that the Sprint needs to be wound up a fair bit for it to have any effect on headshakes. Anyone fitted either one?

I'd be grateful for any advice.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
search.... there are a million and one threads about dampers. i personally chose hyperpro on my 03 and i love it. gpr also seems to be popular on here.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Damper?? Why?? If the suspension is half way decent, you shouldn't need one. I do track days on 3 different bikes and don't use one. I live in the twisties with bumps and still don't need one. Put the $$ into your forks and shock. That's MO :D

·
Registered
634 Posts
Get a damper dude, Trust me its worth it.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I plan to get a GPR soon. I get headshake even on smooth landing wheelies....but after getting headshake (not real bad) up shifting at 120 mph on the track on Saturday my mind was made up...will place the order as soon as I figure out who to buy it from.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I get the general feeling from most people who have ridden the 6R that say you do need a steering damper, but are you saying EA6BMECH, that the problem is about not having the suspension set up properly? ie. preload set up for rider weight, etc? on my old Honda NC30 i didn't need a damper, but then it wasn't as sharp handling as the 6R. I don't know if any of you guys have ever heard of an ex BSBK and GP500 racer from Scotland - Niall MacKenzie? Well, he tested the bike for a magazine and said that quick steering is trade off against stability and the slow motion bucking feeling he experienced could be helped by firming up the rear suspension, but safer to have a damper fitted.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
[:+1][:+1]

My GPR has been golden so far. Worth every penny.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Originally posted by EA6BMECH
Damper?? Why?? If the suspension is half way decent, you shouldn't need one. I do track days on 3 different bikes and don't use one. I live in the twisties with bumps and still don't need one. Put the $$ into your forks and shock. That's MO :D
Possibly, but I'll tell ya what...you hit one of those fuckin lane reflectors on the L.A. freeway doing about 75 under full throttle and see if you dont get some head shake.

That scared the ever living shit outta me once, so I got a damper. Problem solved.

I had my suspension set on the first track day I did, and I must admit it was the absolute best $$$ I could have spent. Completely changed the ease of handling and made me faster instantly, as the bike felt 200 times better. It was a very noticable change also because I did a couple sessions with it set at factory before I had it adjusted. Do it.

I recommend BOTH. [:M58]

·
Registered
702 Posts
Another vote for the GPR. I have two. Properly set up suspension is very important. But how does this help when the front wheel is skimming across the pavement in a turn, nearly off the ground?:D

·
Registered
80 Posts
Plus the 05/06 bikes have a 65 series front tire stock. going up to a 70 series tire will increase straight line stability a little too.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah, I've heard road testers for a UK bike magazine recommend a change from the 65 profile to the 70, but I've always been told not to change the dimension of the tyres you fit from that of original specs. I guess you believe that the manufacturer knows better, right? Has anyone tried it?

·
Registered
380 Posts
i switched to diablo corsa's 70 series in the front and got a very bad tank slap that same day so i dont think tires will prevent tank slaps. so i decided to get a toby steering damper and now i can full throttle anywhere,anytime and anyplace without fear of tank slaps. this damper is so hard that it takes about 3 seconds to turn the handlebar from left to right.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.