Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you're starting to learn how to wheelie, how much of a must is a steering damper, and what (if any) are the major differences in brand names? Are they all the same except for the name, and what can I expect to pay for one?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Personally i dont know how much of a must they are because i do not have one, but its on its way. I have not actually tried to learn how to wheelie but have had the frontend come up a few times, and some of those times it has shook a little bit, so i am getting one due to the safety factor as far as pricing and difference, the way it mounts is different as far as a rotary or piston style and prices vary from mid to high 200's and go up.
Later
Matt

·
Registered
47 Posts
I am getting the scotts steering damper. It comes with the mounting stuff and the damper, and if you ever get another bike all you have to get is a different mount. I also like the gold look to. But I have heard good things about GPR as well.

·
Registered
359 Posts
In my opinion a dampers a damper,they all do the same job and I don't believe theres anyone better than another.It all comes down to which one you like the look of the best and what type of mount you prefer.I've always liked the across the tank 916 style apposed to the the GPR,scotts type so I bought the Harris/Ohlins damper kit.At the end of the day its your bike,buy what you want!!

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I would kill for an Ohlins set up, but it's so damn expensive. I think I'll settle for a GPR. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I have a GPR on my 05 and I love it. The reason I picked that over the Scotts is because it's cheaper and you don't have to drill holes in your frame(not sure about pre 05).

Overall the GPR hasn't given me any grief, I can adjust it on the fly with the turn of the knob and it has made everything from highway riding to pushing through the twisties a lot more stable.

·
Premium Member
10,463 Posts
Damn wish Harri got off its ass earlier then it did on the mounting set-up for the ZX6R...I ended up with the Hyper-pro a good unit but i just prefer the harris/ohlins like the one on my RC51...

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hi all,

Just an FYI, but I think that Ohlins finally has made a damper kit for the '05-'06 ZX-6R. (Is this old news?) If you go onto their website, it's part no. SD-186. I called Ohlins and the guy said that it's the complete kit, and not just the damper. Its suggested retail is $575 according to the guy, so I'm thinking the street price is around $500? He said it just came out about two months ago, and is in stock, just call a dealer. I want a gold GPR, because its cheaper, but it's in back order at Indy. May take a couple of weeks. Indy sells it for $339. I'm thinking about the ohlins, but $500 bucks is a lot of $$. Like the post above, I also believe that most dampers perform a like. At least to me. I'm not at that level where I could probably tell the difference between the different brands, so long as the damper prevents the head from shaking. I've read overall good things about the GPR on this board, but the Ohlins is tempting. What do you guys think? Has anyone purchased the Ohlins kit already and have pics of it install? Any comments on how well it works?

http://www.damper.se/Motorcycle/Hidden/Recommendationlist/tabid/110/Default.aspx

Thanks

[:p]

·
Registered
394 Posts
I've found that i get alot less headshake by not letting the bike pull me like superman flappering from the handle bars. When you start to get less nervous and let the bike do its thing and don;t death grip it, I tend to get alot smoother ride. When you deathgrip you are constantly tugging on the handle bars.... I think.. hey, I'm still gonna get a damper but thus far its worked for me.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.