Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys me again
whats peoples view on steering dampers ?? for street and long distance touring on motorways (turnpike i think in usa)
would you use one and if so which type?
my thought was the steering gets light at about 80mph onwards and no i dont have a death grip lol just kinda wondering if its worth it.

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
Steering shouldn't be heavy or light. The faster you go the less you will feel the bike. That's just how it is. A steering damper isn't going to make you alter centrifugal force.

If you want one go get one. It wont hurt if you do.. Besides your pocket

·
Registered
195 Posts
I have been to the track 3 times now and have yet to even consider a damper. I am not sure what benefit you are looking for. Like Glocken mentioned the bike will feel different at speeds and for me, its a just a higher feeling of stability. There could always be a maintenance issue if something does not feel right but according to your post, it just sounds like a feeling you are not accustomed to.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info guys , the problem I have is that there is a slight wobble on the front end , maybe ill tighten up the headset and also get the wheel rebalanced .

·
Registered
195 Posts
I remember reading a post on another forum where someone wanted a steering damper convinced it was just an issue with the way the bike was and that there were no maintenance issues. Maybe others will chime in but I have yet to feel any instability at speed so I know its not the bike unless mine is special. I am assuming there are a lot of factors, some little, some big that could affect this so all I can say is good luck with your troubleshooting. Also, if you do figure it out, make sure to let us all know.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I have done commuting (50 mile round trip, four times a week) on intersates, touring (did a 2,300 miles in 6 days, lots of mountains), and track days (New York Safety Track with Fishtail Riding School). I have yet to feel a need for a steering damper.

While the suspension is not that good for a small guy like me, since it's sprung for a rider much heavier than me, I felt no wobble or instability at all.

Now, one thing that may affect you is tires. The stock tires have very little feel, and I had a huge improvement of feel, which decreased a vague feel the bike had before. I switched to Pilot Road 3s, and recommend them to anyone that does a lot of road riding. Start off by having your rims and tires checked. They may be out of round or unbalanced.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I liken the change to what happened with my 2008 STi when I had anti-roll bars installed. The car went from vague, and very scary, to confidence inspiring, overnight. The car would not transmit feel to me when I was not looking straight ahead, so lane changes were unnerving, and I could tell I was reacting my twitching at the wheel. Add the heavier anti-roll bars and end links, and all of a sudden I could tell without doubt the car was tracking true, through my hands.

With the bike, looking through corners was a little scary until the PR3s. The new tires give such good feedback, I immediately started to take corners better, and decided to start doing track days.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts