Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi to all
I have one big problem. I have one Ninja 6R 2007 model that has the FI light on. I connected the KDS (kawasaki diagnostic system) and it read the service code 52, stick coil#2. I did all the measurements according to the workshop manual except the peak voltage test because I don't have the peak voltage adapter. I changed the coil #2 with a new one and I still get the same service code and no spark from that coil. Any suggestions what to check next? I suspect that the ECU is faulty but it is strange for me that only the stick coil #2 is not working. The owner of the bike told me that few days ago the 10A fuse for the ignition burned during driving. That happened 3 times. The last time that he changed the fuse after some time (15 minutes) he got the FI light.

·
Registered
193 Posts
im not a pro or anything, but i would check the wires, if your blowin fuses maybe you got 2 wires melted or chewed up or somethin, id look at that b4 i dropped a grand on a new ecu, 2cents

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
im not a pro or anything, but i would check the wires, if your blowin fuses maybe you got 2 wires melted or chewed up or somethin, id look at that b4 i dropped a grand on a new ecu, 2cents
+1 wiring, maybe look to see if they've installed anything lately where they had to split into the wiring (like hid's or fender elim kit, or new LEDs who knows)...

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
yeah wires. i would find the wires that both coil # 2 and the igintion fuse share

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
+1 wiring, maybe look to see if they've installed anything lately where they had to split into the wiring (like hid's or fender elim kit, or new LEDs who knows)...
Well the owner of the bike installed some LED's for the license plate. Is there any chance he made some bad wiring? I didn't check what he did but from the wiring diagram in the workshop manual i can see that the lights are not connected in any way with the ignition. But still........... I'll check that also.
Thank you all for the advices. I'll keep you posted with the progress.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Highly doubt it has anything to do with your ignition problem. If I were you I would check Continuity of the wires that go from the coil to connector/ecu, to make sure there are no breaks. If there are no breaks check and make sure the connectors have good pin fits. If that all checks good, I would try to find a friend with a 07 and borrow his ecu and see if that fixes it, before you go buy one.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
it may not even be a common wire between the to but may be it passes eachother and now its rubbed though cause of bad routing

·
Registered
193 Posts
now that you mentiond the led for the plate, did they by chance do the compwerks ltd kit. maybe they tried runnin the drill up instead of down =) if they touched the wires it could be right there.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi to all
It has been a while since my last reply. So the situation is like this:
I checked all the wires from the stick coil to the ECU and all the involved connectors and no short or open circuit. I check the wires on the bike as well as off the bike. I removed the complete wiring and no problem there. The continuity from the ECU to the stick coil is OK. But then, in a conversation with the owner he told me that he had changed the stick coil with another one that is not original stick coil for Kawasaki because the original stick coil was more expensive than this one. Is it possible that due to some incompatibility there is such a big problem? I'll measure the resistance of the stick coil and I'll compare it with the data from the manual and hope that it will solve this puzzle. I'll post the results.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi to all
The problem is solved. I tried with another working ECU and there was a spark form the stick coil. I measured the resistance on the primary winding of the spark plug and it was too low (near zero, 0.98 ohm) and it should be from 1.2 ohm to 1.6 ohm. So I replaced all the coils with the ones recommended by Kawasaki and I put a new (ok not NEW but functional) ECU and now everything is OK.
Well that is it for now. The owner payed the bill and collected his bike.
If you ever need to replace a part ALWAYS replace the part with a original one or with a recommended equivalent. It may be more expensive than some other non-original part but it will save you money and time for repairs if something goes wrong.
Thank you all for the help.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts