Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys im new to the forum! I just took my msf course 2 weekends ago, and bought a 2001 kawasaki ninja zx-6r with 5,280 miles on it. I'm going to register the bike tomorrow, but had a question about tires. The rear tire is shot, and the front tire has about 50% tread left. Since I am a new rider, I want the stickiest tires available for the street. I am not going to be using the bike on the track, and just want a sense of security. The bike currently has Michelin Pilot Sports which I believe have been phased out, so do you guys reccomending getting 2 new tires of any suggestions that you guys have, or putting on a pilot power in the rear and keeping the front a pilot sport? I heard that it is bad to have two different tires on the bike, so I wanted some expert advice. Any other tires good from Avon, Pirelli, Dunlop, Metzeler? Thanks!

·
Registered
471 Posts
The new dunlop qualifiers are ranked to be one of the best tires on the market, shortly followed by the michelin pilot power.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Originally posted by GSXR70
Since I am a new rider, I want the stickiest tires available for the street. I am not going to be using the bike on the track, and just want a sense of security.
Might I suggest that you don't want the nearest thing to race rubber available.

Virtually all the tyres you'll find in a fitment for a ZX6R have awesome amounts of grip - the majority of road riders don't have the skill/commitment to overcome it and the bike doesn't have the power to spin up the rear with something mildly sticky.

The softer tyre you get, the easier it'll be to square off, and since you're probably not going to be attacking that many corners (until you've got more experiance) - you might want something that'll last abit longer.

Maybe bridgestone bt014s?

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Just got some Pilot Powers and I friggin love them. Had qualifiers before and they wore down so quickly... the powers seem "stickier" than the dunlops. Your correct in that michelin no longer makes the street; but now they make the Pilot Road; which is similar to the street in that its meant for a longer use period than the powers; but sacrifices grip. Good luck on your tire choice!!

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Meztlers

·
Registered
891 Posts
Pilot Powers, no doubt. And get both at the same time.

I've gotten over 5k out of my powers easy, and thats just when treadbar starts showing not when it's actually dead.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I registered my bike today, and I needed to buy tires within 7 days or else I wouldnt get an inspection sticker and since my tires were shot they wouldnt pass me so I ordered pilot powers front and rear! hopefully I will like them! I rode about 80 miles today on a bald rear tire ;(. But the new pilot powers will be here on sat. ;). I rather spend more money, and loose tread wear while I gain confidence, becuase that one time when the pilot powers give me that extra grip when a car gets in my way then they will pay for itself.

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
[:Agree] Your MSF course should've taught you to scan 12 seconds ahead. You shouldn't have to rely on sticky tires to stop you quicker, especially when road surfaces aren't always clean, dry, asphault. Kick ass tires are always fun, and definitely help in cornering and breaking. But they're no match for the results you get when you use your head... Stay safe out there.

·
Registered
161 Posts
i've done 3 track days and about 2k miles on pilot powers and they still look new. awesome tires for street or track.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I put some Dunlop D208's on earlier this year. I hate these tires! I don't know if there is something wrong with the particular tires i have, but these things just let loose all the time. It doesn't matter whether i'm going 20km/h or 200km/h they will not hook up. Dunlop just told me to send them back and they'd give me another set but i'm just going to get a credit and order another set of Battlax BT-014's. I had a set of those before and they were absolutely awesome.

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
i love my powers, i need a new front, and i just got a new rear about 1000 miles ago.
Ben

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Pirelli Diablos...great mileage, great grip, great tire. Michelin pilot powers are great as well. I don't have any experience with the qualifiers but they're supposed to be good.

Also make sure to change both while you're at it...plus you can probably get a sweet deal on a set rather than just one. www.competitionaccessories.com used to have a sweet deal on Pilow Powers...they probably still do.

·
Registered
20 Posts
pilot powers are a very common tire to use. they are what's called a dual compound tire (soft and hard) thus giving you the ideal stickyness if you're going to hit the canyons every once in a while, but still have a little bit of the hard in there so it doesnt wear down while commuting as much. the pilot roads will suffice as a commuting tire, and you'll get excellent milage out of them, but there isnt as much stickyness in them. They are the hard compound tire in the pilot series. the pilot race tires are the soft compound are meant to be used on the track of optimum stickyness. If ridden for commuting you wont get very many miles out of them. the next comparable tire that ive heard good things about is the metzelers. they are suppose to hold their own when compared to the pilot's but they are a little more expensive. as for the dunlops ive heard mixed reviews about. some people think that they suck some love them. i think it depends on what type of rider you are and what kind of bike that you have. ive see where they dont last more than 4k mi, but then ive also seen the where they lasted forever. however, one thing i look at too is what is the moto gp guys going? what brands are they running? why? if you do a little research on your bike, you'll find the tire that fits you most... and if you dont like it after youve had it on there once... change it, and dont go back.

·
Registered
509 Posts
I've got Pirelli Diablos and freaking love them. They are compairable to the Pilot Powers i think but i've never ridden on powers. heard their nice tho.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.