Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1998 ZX6R G model.. ok.. this is my problem. when i pull in the clutch, the bike does not drop down to the correct idle speed, sits at about 3000-3500 rpm for a few seconds, and then it will drop down to about 1100 where its supposed to.. not the biggest problem out there, but it is annoying cause when i'm down shifting, it is more difficult to put the clutch in gear when the rpms are reving higher, so i have to wait the 3 seconds until it calms down.. any suggestions on how to fix this problem?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hi,

could it be the throttle cable is sticking and taking a while to return to fully closed position? that might result in this happening, maybe that is why you see it drop down after a few seconds.
If it is this, you should be able to see if it happens with the bike on the stand in neutral, bring it up to steady high revs then let go of the throttle and see how long it takes to drop to idle speed.

I had a similar thing with another bike cable, in that case the clutch cable was so gummed up that it would slowly retract back. I thought the clutch was worn until I spotted the lever moving slowly back. Freeing up the cable sorted the issue.
good luck..

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks.. i'll have to test it out.. all i know is.. when i'm riding.. then want to down shift.. i pull in the clutch.. but the rpms stay at about 3000 for a couple seconds.. than after the couple seconds it drops down to 1100 where it should be, and i can down shift easier.. but it sucks having to wait, i want quick responses not slow ones

·
Registered
157 Posts
Probably the throttle cable as stated earlier. If not, give us some background on the bike. Any modifications done? Has the bike always done it? Possible that the idle mixture screws might need adjustment and/or the carbs need synching.

·
Premium Member
4,776 Posts
The carbs sound like they need to be syncronized.....in addition to looking for any throttle cable pinching. Does teh engine speed up if you turn the handle bars full left or right? If so, you might have a routing problem.

·
Registered
19 Posts
i had the same problem.

it turned out to be the grip getting stuck on the bar end. put a little grease inbetween them and it cleared up

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.