Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
I just picked up my bike used ('98 '6R) and thought the throttle was okay. However when I was at my local shop today I was playing on a brand new '03, and noticed that the throttle snaps back when you let go. Mine does not do this. It kinda sticks where it is. Is there a cure for this?

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I would replace the cable or just as TommyV says you try lubing it;)
Without attention this problem is potientially dangerous, if you are going to try lubing it I would give WD40 or a silicon spray of some description a go. Perhaps TommyV or someone in this forum can help with their lube ideas. (keep it clean boys[:p])
I have never tried lubing the throttle cable but I hear it isn't that difficult.
Anyway, well done on your purchase, I am sure you will enjoy your '98 '6R.

Corbywan
2000 ZX6R Green

·
Registered
303 Posts
also look to see if their are aftermarket grips installed.. when i pushed my girp on to the throttle i got glue stuck between the throttle tube and the bar itself... i wasn't aware of this and my throttle stuck so i tried lubing it but it made no difference then i finally realized.[8D]

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by bs121583

also look to see if their are aftermarket grips installed.. when i pushed my girp on to the throttle i got glue stuck between the throttle tube and the bar itself... i wasn't aware of this and my throttle stuck so i tried lubing it but it made no difference then i finally realized.[8D]
I almsot made the same mistake with my new grips. Glue got between plastic and metal part of throttle, but I just wiped it off with a damp towel, and it works fine.

·
Registered
298 Posts
You can pick up a CABLE LUBER at most auto parts stores or motorcycle shops. This really helps out and works very very well. It snaps over the cable and has a little hole in it where you put the straw from the lube can, then as you spray it pushes it all the way down the cable. Works great, and its only 5 bucks.

Life is short, but sweet for certain...

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
First of all, you have to remove your barends, which is simple enough, just unsrew them at the end, and they fall off. Then you either have to slide the old grips off, or cut them off with a razor blade, if they are being stubborn. After the bare bars are showing, make sure that the throttle is not bound up by twising it and letting go a few times. It should snap back into closed position.

Then, and some may disagree with me but oh well, use a rag or paper towel soaked in gasolin to clean the old glue and old peices of grip off the bars. Gasoline will dissolve absolutely anything. Just make sure that after that is done, you wipe the bars again with a clean damp cloth to get the gas off.

After the bars are clean, cut a small hole in the end of your new grips so that the barends will fit, apply a SMALL amount of grip glue to the inside, and slide the grips on. Don't push them all the way on though. The left one is ok to push all the way on, but the throttle grip must be pushed up just shy of the starter switch housing so it doesn't stick. Also, make sure you don't get any glue between the plastic part of the throttle handle, and the metal below it.

(Shewwww, that was more typing than I thought it would be)

Good luck:D

·
Registered
316 Posts
Another thing you might want to check, since you stated that you bought it used, is sometimes the stunters will take a rubber washer and put it between the grip and the bar end to act as a throttle lock, for doing tricks with no hands. Just a simple thing, but you would be suprised.

-Cops want a hot pursuit, so entertain them! -Shadee

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.