Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Of the three bikes you narrowed down to, the GSX-R600 will probably be the best "starter" bike.I have an 02 6R and I like it, but I also really liked the gixxer when I rode one.I'm not a diehard kawi fan.I like many bikes.And that dj dunzie guy knows his shit.Those SV650's would make an awesome starter bike.I also like the scream of the four cylinder over the twin though.The Suzuki is now the most streetable of the 600's.I did find the brakes a little lacking on the gixxer.Buy something and be carefull.

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
Well, I see you are now interested in the 2003 models and no longer the 2002 models. Well, if you were not a new rider, I would say that is a good choice unless you were solely looking for something a bit more comfortable like some of the 2002's have to offer. But, you are a new rider, so I can't say whether it is a good choice or a bad choice to go with the new '03 models. There are more pros and cons in that case.

I would go on and say how you would be far better off starting with a SV650 or a Bandit 600 since you are a beginner and looking for a bike that will grow with you a bit, but I won't since you don't seem interested in a sport-street bike as a possibility.

It is next to impossible to give you an answer as to which bike you should go with. If there was one bike model that everyone liked, then all the other manufacturers would be out of business. I can provide you with some quick details, though, to possibly aid in your deciding process.

The Suzuki: Went from most cutting-edge to least cutting-edge in a matter of a year. A nice bike that has withstood the test of time. Available now, their 40th anniversary color scheme is pretty trick...if you're into yellow and purple. No LED taillight and a single headlight unit brings an 'aged' look.

The Kawasaki: The fastest 600 (or 636, for that matter) class bike of '03. Just the opposite of the Suzuki, the 6R was the least cutting-edge last year and is one of the most (if not the most) cutting-edge this year. Has the most radical look of all the 600's. The bike has very good handling characteristics; the best brakes a sport bike has had to date; and the addition of inverted forks which provides a more ridged ride, but keeps that front wheel planted on the pavement. Solid color schemes can be boring. All LCD instrument panel is pretty cool, though.

The Honda: Kawasaki and Honda are neck and neck this year for cutting-edge supremacy. Although the Kawasaki is faster, the Honda may still have the upper hand in that regard. Like the Kawasaki being the fastest 600, the Honda is the best handling 600. The Honda MSRP is $600 more than the aforementioned bikes. Although I don't see this a wise move on the behalf of Honda, they do have sufficient justification to get away with it. The Honda is going to be marginally more comfortable the the Gixxer and Kawi. Yes, the upswept exhaust is really nice and the black/red color scheme is oh so sexy. Honda's fuel-injection is a head above the rest. And, last but far from least, Honda build quality.

I hope this helped you out with your decision!:)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey all, I still deciding on purchasing a bike and I am deciding on a few bikes, although I have narrowed it down. 2003 Suzuki GSXR600, 2003 Kawasaki ZX6R, or a 2003 Honda CBR600RR. Any other recommendations for 600cc bikes would be helpful. I'm 17 and I weigh about 140 pounds. I don't have a lot of experience except for attending motorcycle school. I have about $10,000 to spend on the bike and I plan to just ride it around the suburbs and some city driving (I live in Seattle). I need a bike that is a good learner bike but can also accomodate me when I get a little better. I also looking for a bike that can stand the rain because it rains a lot in Seattle. I need my bike to be reliable and have relatively good feedback. I know that i'm asking in a Kawasaki message board, and that many of you probably love Kawasakis and hate everything but if you give your honest opinion I would appreciate it. Thxs for your help.

·
Registered
284 Posts
PLEASE do a search and read through some of the posts about starter bikes and learning to ride. Much has been written about why you should start on something smaller.

----------------------
Dave Lee
Red '02

·
Registered
530 Posts
If I were 17 and a beginner, I would get either a Ninja 250R or 500R. They're both a lot of fun, with more speed and acceleration than you need especially for suburbs and city driving. Certainly faster than most cars (except exotics). They've been in production for a long time, which is an indication of how reliable they are.

I've heard that the SV650, though it is a wonderful bike, has some problems in rain (something gets short-circuited or what). I would choose the SV650 over the 500R except for this possible problem.

If you absolutely must get a 600 class, you may want to consider more friendly bikes than the ones you mentioned such as a YZF600R, Triumph TT600, Triumph Speed 4, 2000-2002 ZX6R, CBR600F4i. But in my opinion, in city streets, the 250R or 500R are more fun. Plus, your insurance premiums will be more reasonable.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.