Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How much better is the K&N? I just got a PCIII installed and wanted to upgrade my air filter. Is it worth it or is the stock air filter good enough?

·
Registered
390 Posts
kn isnt better at all. stick with stock. better than dealing with that stupid oil you have to use on the kn filter.

·
Registered
692 Posts
:x I have a k&n and I like it better than stock, runs a lot smoother.. IMO and you really dont have to use oil everytime you clean it.

·
Registered
887 Posts
I didn't really feel a difference when I changed mine to K&N

·
Registered
451 Posts
I like my K&N better than stock. I felt like I had a little more torque off the line with the K&N. (That could just be my imagination)

The oil for the filter is only something you generally spray on once a year or so, not often enough to be bothersome. (Depending how much you ride.)

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
There is no real performance gain with a K&N or BMC filter, they just are easier to clean and over the long run are cheaper than replacing the stock filter.

If you are not using the oil then you are taking a chance. The oil is not some sort of item added just for looks, the oil is a filter media that is used to trap dust and dirt particles into the filter media. You should oil the filter every time you clean it. It takes maybe 30 min to clean and oil a filter so the whole it is not worth the time is crap. The stock filter is almost $30 by the time you add in tax or shipping, you can get a K&N or BMC for under $50. Two filter changes and you have equalled what a after market one cost.

As long as you are doing it for the cleanability reason they are great, but in bikes they dont add and real measuable hp.

·
Registered
141 Posts
When I changed mine, it seemed to lose a little low end off the line but it smoothed everything out and the sound makes it fun

·
Registered
347 Posts
I felt like i may have lost a little low as well. I thought it may have been from the wire jumper mod though.

·
Registered
143 Posts
How often do you need to oil it? Every 3,000 miles or 7,500 miles? I replaced my stock filther with a new K&N air filter at around 4,000 miles I checked it at 8,000 miles and it looked pretty clean but I didn't oil it.

Also what type of oil should I use (brand and/or certain type/grade)?

Thanks for this heads up.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Originally posted by hszeto
How often do you need to oil it? Every 3,000 miles or 7,500 miles? I replaced my stock filther with a new K&N air filter at around 4,000 miles I checked it at 8,000 miles and it looked pretty clean but I didn't oil it.

Also what type of oil should I use (brand and/or certain type/grade)?

Thanks for this heads up.
Id say 3k clean it and oil, and there's a filter recharge kit when you wanna oil it.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Generally, if you can hold it up to the sun and see through it you should be OK.

I just cleaned and reoiled mine after 6000 miles. It was dirty as shit, but what can I say...I am lazy.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.