Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well here is the deal I was told that the cams in the 98-99 models were hotter cams then in the 02-03 is this true and can any one give me specs on thes 4 cams???

·
Registered
50 Posts
The cams will not interchange . In 2000 when they went to the new head design the journal diameters were reduced .

The 98-99 model had advertised intake duration of 316 vs 300 for the 2000-up models . Both exhaust duration were the same @ 292 advertised . The actual timing events were different both intake and exhaust and the early models LCA's were 103 intake - 99 exhaust vs 105 intake - 100 exhaust for the 2000 up year models .

The 16 degree's of advertised difference in the two intake cams does not mean the early models were " hotter " though and as far as lobe intensity goes , I'd believe the later model intake lobe to have the higher actual lift rate and potential gains in low lift flow of the two . They improved the head in 2000 , I'd like to think they did not step backwards on the intake cam . :)

·
Registered
367 Posts
they are pretty 'cammy' out of the box.... i doubt you could gain anything with cams without losing a lot, unless the bike has some serious work/turbo/big bore etc

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the info that really helps. Weird tho Ivan at Ivens jet works was the one telling me about the cams, odd that some one like him would have told me that and be wrong. But Im happy I posted the quetion here first before I spent the money. and the bike does now have a big bore kit installed. just working out the finer things such as cams head work ignition ETC. thanks again

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.