Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've never owned one but I've heard how much steering dampers stabilize your bike and how they can save you from headshake or even a nasty tankslapper, so why is it that they don't come stock on every bike? If the damn mudflaps come on every bike because for safety reasons then why dont bike manufacturers add the stabilizer as well?

·
Registered
755 Posts
A lot of people don't ride to the point of their neccessity; to keep costs down; some idiots would tighten it too much and crash on low speed turns; etc.

Not only bikes, how come most of my girlfriends come with mud flaps? I hate that little bit of extra roast beef.

·
Registered
7,145 Posts
Cool, a "mudflaps" joke.

Though Gates hit it. If a person rode exactly as the lawyers of a motorcycle manufactures civil laywsuit defense team says you should, one definitely would not need a steering damper.

Basically, a damper is for a more aggressive riding style. So hard riders, stunters and those in areas with terrible road conditions definitely benefit from a damper.

I was just reading a bike review a few nigths ago, due out next year, but I forgot which bike (I think the '04 R1) some bikes straight from the manufacture will have a stock damper.

-Flash

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Just met a guy that bought a new Gixxer 1000. It came with a damper on it.

Those aren't mudflaps on that girl. Those are "Fender Flares!"

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
I believe sixftnine is correct, Gixxers have had stock dampers for quite a while now, although I don't think that they are adjustable, and if they are, it's probably not by much. My new M.Toby damper has 29 different settings:D

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Suzuki's have had them for quite some time now, they've been around for a while. Pretty much every Italian superbikebike you can buy has one. Generally if you've got a good set up you won't need one for street riding. I got one of those Scott's units and the thing is dialed all the way out for around town.

.....and watch out for roast beef curtains sgates - you must dating all the wrong women.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I think Suzuki started putting the things on since the first
model TL's started bucking the riders off and had a recall to fit them
on .
I suppose they ,suzuki doesn't would to take anymore chances.

mfzx6r

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
The new honda 1000 will have one next year...one has to wonder if it's b/c of all the 954 nightmares that were corrected by fitting dampers.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Originally posted by Strong Bad

I got one of those Scott's units and the thing is dialed all the way out for around town.
How do you like the Scott's damper?

I'm thinking of buying a steering damper for next trackday season, options are Öhlins, WP and maybe Scott's. So far I've only got few little shakes with no damper, but probably a damper would be a smart thing to have when I start using Rennsports/Diablo Corsas and I manage to up the pace a bit.

In looks department I prefer Öhlins and they should work a treat.
But the cost is factor too so I'll grab the best deal I can find...

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
The Scott's is alright, but it's really built for off-road bikes. It has most certainly calmed the bike down at the track, but if I will be selling it to get an Ohlins across-the-top unit.

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
"Built for off-road bikes"?[:M74] Ummm...no

When you are looking for a good damper, it is a tossup between Scotts, Ohlins and HP as well as one or two other smaller manufacturers out there. The Scotts is definitely the most popular damper out there, and there are reasons for that. Build quality, ease of adjustment and reliability are the main reasons that come to mind. You would be making a great choice by going with the Scotts.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Thanks for comments, Strong Bad and speedvlaze.

Now I'll have to keep checking if I could find a used damper (Öhlins, WP, Scott's) somewhere or a good deal for a new one.

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
I am actually not sure. You get what you pay for when it comes to dampers. All the comparable ones in quality are comparable in price. It's not a "paying for the name" thing that comes into effect like with so many other products out there.
If someone doesn't have an answer to your question by tomorrow evening, then I will have one for you.;)

·
Registered
76 Posts
for the most economical source Lockhart Philips have some steering dampers that are super affordable. They are adjustable - but to a limit i think like 5. I believe the LPs are under $200. I had a scotts on my last bike, left almost all the way full and never touched it.

·
Registered
252 Posts
The new R1 will have a stock damper, although it's not adjustable. It comes with a "low-speed override" for improved agility. That bike is f***ing kick-ass!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.