Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I think I'm driving 14 hours to hit JenningsGP for the weekend after xmas! Any of you guys going to be there?

I just traded in the FZ1 for my 636 in mid-november so I've still got the stock tires on there (1700 miles). They're worn enough that they wouldn't sell for much, but they still have plenty of life left in them. Have any of you guys used the stock tires on the track? How'd they do?

I already ordered some diablo corsas that I'll take with me (and get mounted at the track if need be). They're 120x70's instead of the 65's so I'll probably drop the front end a bit after installing them.

I'm just trying to decide if I should go ahead and mount them before leaving or if I'll be ok w/ the stockers for a few days. I've never been to Jennings so I don't know what my lap times will be but I ran in the intermediate group (mid-faster in the group) w/ NESBA and Sportbike Track Time w/ my FZ1.

Thoughts and opinions?

Also, am I going to hate myself if I don't buy a steering damper before the three day weekend? I've had NO problems w/ headshake on the street so I'd like to try the track w/o one, but I don't want to get there and find out I really need one. Anyone running JenningsGP w/o one?

·
Registered
605 Posts
Hey RidgeRider, post this question to the Jennings GP forum and get the skinny from the regulars. There was a similiar question posted, but the tires were on a gixxer 1000 which would eat tires more quickly. Maybe Rob Lee, a Jennings veteran, will chime in also.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
If the surface at Jennings is anything like that of Little Talladega your tires will be good to go. I was impressed with the grip the stockers offer, still not as good as the Michilen H2's. I can only speak from a distant memory of the D207's but I'm sure the Bridgestones are much better than that as well.

Again, if Jennings is anything like Little T, your tires are going to be completely shagged at the end of a two-day weekend.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
The stock tire is quite good, and by the looks of your pics on the old bike you can do without the sharpest tool. If you mount the Diablo Corsas, raise the forks about 5 mm through the triple clamps as a start. If the tire vendors are there, they will change the pair for 20 bills.

JenningsGP has few bumps. I ride the track without a damper and without a problem. It helps to have the proper sag.

If you have any other questions, drop me a PM and I will be glad to help.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Originally posted by Rob Lee
If you mount the Diablo Corsas, raise the forks about 5 mm through the triple clamps as a start.
I raised the forks 6 mm after mounting standard Diablos, seems to be ok for me.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Originally posted by RidgeRider

I already ordered some diablo corsas that I'll take with me (and get mounted at the track if need be).
If you mount the Corsas, I would be very interested to hear how they perform in track riding.

This summer I used regular Diablos and was impressed with them, next season I'll get a pile of stickier tyres and the choises are Mez Rennsports or Diablo Corsas.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys. I'll leave the stockers on to start out the three day weekend. What kind of pressures would you suggest, 32 F/R?

Rob Lee said:
...by the looks of your pics on the old bike you can do without the sharpest tool
Yeah, yeah - I'm a track newbie - but I was quite limited by dragging parts w/ the FZ1. After raising the pegs and removing the centerstand I started grinding my Yosh exhaust mid-pipe on the right and frame slider on the left. That shouldn't be a problem now that I have the 636 [}:)].

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Perhaps I was unclear.

You look to have enough skill to make do without the best equipment for the track. If you can throw an FZ1 around the track, you will surely be able to ride around the stock tire.

I meant that as a compliment.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh, my bad - but I do still have lots to learn (but I guess we all do)! I wish I had your form, Rob. Those pictures you posted were sweet. Something tells me I'll never look quite right on the 636 though being 6'2" 210 lbs :( with my mismatched leathers/paintjob/helmet combo. I need a sponser...

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Originally posted by RidgeRider
I'll leave the stockers on to start out the three day weekend. What kind of pressures would you suggest, 32 F/R?
The Bridgestone tire guy at the track suggests 28 psi front and rear. You can drop him a note with any questions at [email protected].

·
Registered
349 Posts
Just another two cents, I have a different opinion. I was lapping around Thunderhill and am no way fast (I run in the 2:10's whereas the racers run in 1:50's) and I pushed the front end through turn 2 and left about a 10 foot skid mark with the front tire (according to the dude behind me). I was not impressed with the tires. They went bye bye. I am now running Supercorsas haven't had a problem:D. I would throw on your Diablos. But either way, have fun and be safe-- and don't worry about how you look while riding. All that matters is how you look after you crash...[:0]

·
Registered
995 Posts
i would never run street tires on the track because i know i can't hold myself back and i would have too if i was running street compounds.

if you do make it down to jennings after x-mas look for me on a green zx-6rr with blue tape on the headlights and a tan camry with NY plates :)

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'll be there for sure now. Blue zx-6r and blue ninja 250 (wife) w/ a black cr-v pulling them. See you there.

Justin

·
Registered
344 Posts
It depends what you want to do. If you want to go racing, you should have a race bike with slicks. If you're just going to have fun riding without the worries associated with riding on the street (cops, cars, etc...), a street bike with street tires will do.

I've always run street tires at the track (don't really want a race bike or want to go racing). With street tires I can still drag a knee and ride as fast as I want.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Originally posted by mjahelka
It depends what you want to do. If you want to go racing, you should have a race bike with slicks. If you're just going to have fun riding without the worries associated with riding on the street (cops, cars, etc...), a street bike with street tires will do.

I've always run street tires at the track (don't really want a race bike or want to go racing). With street tires I can still drag a knee and ride as fast as I want.
you shouldnt run slicks just cause your on the track..slicks are actually less sticky then DOT race compunds if not ridden right, by ridden right,i mean you gotta be pushin the hell ouuta em to keep em warm

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.