Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wish the magazines would start busting on the manufactures about their bullshit specs. These bikes are precision machines but the manufacture feels the need to stroke the specs. For years the speedo's have been way off. I remember the Hurricane 1000's had every squid thinking they had a 200mph bike back in the early 90's. That speedo was 12 percent off on the top end. Imagine HONDA known for their precision releasing a bike with that kind of error. Now all the tachs are off except honda (according to the mags) and Kawi says our bikes have a dry weight of 364 but the mags say a dry weight of 399. If they're gonna lie to us about speed, redline, weight, what's next?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I think the manufacture weighs the bike with no gas, oil, coolant ,brake fluid etc..... the mags weigh it only when the gas tank is empty i belive...i could be wrong

·
Registered
10 Posts
u forgot full tank of gas... im sure that weighs alot...... yeah i forgot to add battery. and im sure the scales that the manufacture's own are a little biased.

·
Registered
578 Posts
get used to it, honda basically runs all the magazines. read the early issue of car and driver form this year. there is an article titled "cheap speed" it measured low $20k cars (subaru wrx (not sti), srt4, cobalt ss(what i got) and the acura rsx-s)

the acura was the most expensive, finished last place in every speed test and they gave it 1st place. why, you ask?... because it's affiliated with honda. that is just a blatent show of special treatment... i mean, when the editors state that even though it finished last place in every category, it is still the winner... come on [xx(]

·
Premium Member
8,191 Posts
the dry weights annoy me too, all the manufacturers do it.
The speedo's I don't mind, it helps keep the squids going slower.
From the motorcycle manufacturers perspective, it's far better to have a speedo say you are going faster then reality, then slower. If it was the other way they'd be open to all sorts of lawsuits.
Part of the reason they do this may be they know so many people modify their bikes, changing wheel sizes or gearing affect the speedo's.

·
Registered
759 Posts
I've read the the factories compute dry weight by adding the individual weight of every nut, bolt, part, etc on the bike and exclude stuff like the tool kit and battery and all fluids. Pretty worthless measurement. Just give me the ready to ride with or without gas weight. I think the 6R is about 425 full of gas.

I too wish the speedo and odo were correct, at least within a couple MPH like most cars are. Why bikes are so far off is beyond me. It's just stupid... And they should offer some way to re-calibrate both due to gearing changes or tire changes. This stuff isn't rocket science. Bicycle computers let you do that crap for $20.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Originally posted by GreenEnvy

I believe he means the factories should offer it, not aftermarket
in that case i really think they should...the best thing would be to have somthing you can plug into the ECU and tell it your sporcket size, tire size etc and it can make the proper perset calculations and your speed and odo will be 100%, i doubt this will happen anytime soon but it would make things easier...or even a way to input it using the buttons on the tach just how you would change the time setting on the bike...

·
Registered
602 Posts
Originally posted by Leanlow

in that case i really think they should...the best thing would be to have somthing you can plug into the ECU and tell it your sporcket size, tire size etc and it can make the proper perset calculations and your speed and odo will be 100%, i doubt this will happen anytime soon but it would make things easier...or even a way to input it using the buttons on the tach just how you would change the time setting on the bike...

that'd make it too easy for people to screw with the odo.

·
Registered
950 Posts
We know the speedos are off by about 10%. Just subtract, geez. Besides, how many of actually are staring at a speedo all the time?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.