Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
I do stopies and wheelies regularly almost everytime I hop on my bike I'll do either a stopie or a wheelie. Well recently I started to hear a little knock or pop when I apply the front brake really hard almost doing a doing a stopie.I can't pinpoint where the noise is comming from. What do you guy thing stopie and wheelies wear down or loosen.Im thinkin maybe it the steering nut on the triple tree anybody have pervious experence in this department?Thanks

Don't take my kindness as a sign of weakness.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
i get the same sounds when I get on my front brakes hard....

i dont do many stoppies or wheelies so I dont this this cuased it...

it all started after I mess with my triple tree clamp and raised my bars for comfort....

I'm going to do some troubleshotting soon....

but the sounds doesn't seem to effect my braking power of suspension in any way. It all seems to function normally...

p.s.

i have a 2002 zx-6r...

My Drinking Team Has a Racing Problem!

·
Registered
152 Posts
Yea andy , Same thing here it sounds like a little noise almost as if you flick youre tounge and make the lil click sound im going to checkout mine soon as well.It's enough to make me wonder what it is.

Don't take my kindness as a sign of weakness.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Move your handlebars from side to side, full lock to full lock. If you can feel a 'notch' anywhere bewteen full locks, your head bearings are shagged and need replacing. About £60 (about 100 of your American Dollar ;) ) for the bearings!!

Visually check fork leg seals for leaks. If there's a leak, it's a workshop job $$$$s

The clicking noise you describe could be one of two things, both of which are common traits of the Ninja. It's either the pads moving in the calipers, or the clipons moving slightly.

Test the latter by not putting pressure on the bars with your hands when you brake - you don't have to brake *too* hard to test the theory - take the strain by clamping your knees to the tank. (Good practice anyhow). If it clicks, it's your pads, if it doesn't (or it does *with* pressure on the bars) it's the clipons/fork mounts.

There's no easy cure for the pads moving (they all do that, Sir), but you can improve the handlebar click by loosening all the clipon and fork bolts (one at a time!!!), squirting with WD40, and retorque-ing up to spec. It doesn't always work, but it is a genuine cure. It's to do with a groove in the clipon/fork mounting hardware, moving slightly.

Lemme know what it is?

jb

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Just weanted to update greeninja on why my bike was makign the sound, apparently my steering head needs tightening up or the bearing have went out...this is most like what is cuasing you bike to make that sound, my bike was make the exaxt same sound...

they way I could tell was to put my thumb between the top of the steering stem right under the upper tripple clamp and then grab the front brakes fast, I can feel the thing move in sync with the "click" which is really really bad...

im so pissed I dont even do wheelies or stoppies that much...maybe once you twice...

good luck....

·
Registered
11 Posts
Steering head bearings, like axiles need to be replaced every so often (especially if you ride hard or play hard on your machine) A lot of folks out there never bother to ever take care of these parts then blame the machine for not being any good. Coming from the OLD SCHOOL days before bikes got all pretty, i cannot stress enough to you folks that one should every so often (i do it every 1 - 2 years depending on which machine we are refering too) do a comprehensive maintenance. This can include replacement of rubber lines and hoses as well as replacement of all fluids (every season, oil is replaced every 3000 miles). Radiators flushed, bike tuned up. But most people never even think about the frame or the axiles which are just as important as other parts. There is a reason race bikes get completely taken apart and put back together. There is wisdom there learned from hard lessons.

Enjoy, be safe.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Andy/zippy, Thanks I ride my bike all the time too,I tighten my too,I put 4000 miles on my bike in 1.5 - 2 months ( is that alot?) yea I love to ride.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.