Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
you want to ease onto the front break to get the weight on the frint tire, then you can get on it harder to bring the back wheel up, if your going to come to a stop before you set it down it helps to tap the rear break.

·
Registered
164 Posts
well, my first stoppie was due to somebody pulling out in front of me while i was doing about 80 but i figured out the trick then. after that i have only done a few as i prefer to do wheelies more, but im still a novice at both for sure. i like to do them at lower speeds because i feel more comfortable but you still need to have enough speed to be carrying momentum and so that you dont come to a complete stop too soon. if you are going too slow what happens is you basically stop the bike before you can bring up the rear. you just need to start practicing at what speed you feel comfortable at and if you find yourself stopping before you get the rear up then next time do it a little faster.another thing to definately keep in mind is what 636fool said that you need to ease on the brake first to transfer the weight onto the front wheel before you start getting on the brakes hard. that will avoid locking up the front tire because that would be pretty unpleasant. basically what i do is once i have got on the brake enough to get the weight transfer i just keep pulling on the lever until the rear starts to come up. i have found that for me it is easier to balance a stoppie than a wheelie but i think that it is mostly psychological. anyhow just like anything else it just takes some practice and before long it becomes natural to know how to do it.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Originally posted by ZX6R_rider
What speeds are most suitable for a novice?
come in at about 30 mph. that should give you the momentum to roll a little bit, but it's not dangerously fast.

·
Registered
47 Posts
i meant when the rear tire is about to hit the ground give it a tap. and watch out for cold tires. warm up the front for a bit so it doesnt lock up or skid

·
Registered
541 Posts
Tire pressure -
Weight transfer -

These are THE 2 most important things to keep in mind when doing ANY stunts. No one puts any emphasis on them, but they should. For stoppies, these 2 apply even more since there is no way to forcefully pull the bike up like clutching a wheelie in first would guarantee, or put the bike back down like the rear brake on a wheelie would guarantee.

Drop your tire pressure to 20 atleast to make sure you dont have a chance to lock the brakes. Now LOCK YOUR ARMS. You will come down sideways 100% if you dont have straight arms. Before starting the stoppie make sure the road is perfect and your arms are equally locked. Hover your ass off the seat and lean forward, while grabbing the tank hard with your knees. You can sit down once the wheel comes off the ground.

·
Registered
249 Posts
dont try them on clipons without a damper and dont even think about a high speed one without. trust me i was rolling all of 5-700 feet consistant and flipped one now im in a wheelchair stoppies are no joke.

Bike setup
****STEERING DAMPER****
Steel Braided Lines
Good front tire, PILOT power dont be trying to roll them on a dunlop 208

·
Registered
27 Posts
id say stoppies are more dangerous than wheelies hands down. wheelies are more controllable(u can use gas, engine brake, rear brake, body language)

·
Registered
249 Posts
+1 out of all the stoppies i've rolled the three times that i've flipped i've either messed up my self or my bike really bad.

·
Registered
249 Posts
update rolled 575 today from a 300 ft approach :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.