Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stoppies

2K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  mvrk1 
#1 ·
Get your ass off the seat and distribute some of your weight from the foot pegs to the bars.:D

#3 ·
OK, wheelies I can do. But I'll be damned if I haven't tried to pull a stoppie all morning and the rear tire hasn't left the ground ONCE! You guys have loads of tips and useful help for wheelies, but are any of you proficient with stoppies? Any tips would be greatly appreciated! [8D] Thanks!

- Jon
2000 Firecracker Red ZX6-R --{Ported and polished cylinder heads, ignition advancer, full Carbon Fiber Muzzy}--
"It only takes one beer to get me drunk.......but I'm not sure if it's the 8th or 9th one!"
~~Feminist movements belong in the bedroom~~
-> Never trust anything that bleeds for 5 days and doesn't die!<-

#4 ·
first off, how are your breaks? after 7000 miles on my original (about the time i wanted to learn the same) they wouldn't grab for shit? so i replaced them with ebc breakes.

my method (for small non-crowd pleasers) get going about 5-10 miles per hour and jerk on the front break. it'll come up. as you build your cofindence, you can do it at faster speeds, but i don't recommend it as i don't know how to do a rolling endo. if you jerk it in at higher speeds, you may land a few, but your going to eventually flip it.

#5 ·
to tell u the truth i disagree. the slower u go the more dangerous it is. the faster say getting it up at 30 mph u still have momentum (spelling?) and u can roll out of it still steady. the slower u go the more likely u will go over. i usually go bout 30 mph and slowly grab the brake and apply pressure at the same time throwing my body weight forward. now i go bout 50 to 55 and roll them all the way out bout 60 feet. its all about the balance point like wheelies. the faster u get it up the farther u can roll and its about brake control. start off by going 15 mph and do as said and see what happens and then try more brake and more body and slowly but surely u will catch on. practice, practice,practice! if u get scared dumped the brake! MAKE SURE U HEAT UP UR TIRE TOO, OR U WILL BE SAYING HI TO THE GROUND! thats my .02 cent for what its worth. be safe

#8 ·
I would start out just slowing down faster and faster from about 50mph or so. Just keep on getting on the brake a little hard each time. The the next thing you know the rear tire will come off the ground a few inches which will feel like feet at first but its probly inches. Once you get to the point where the rear tire came up, you will have an idea on how much brake is required. Just make sure you compress the forks before getting on the brake to much and just take your time.

2002 954RR
2001 ZX6R (stunt bike)

http://home.sc.rr.com/minytrker/bike.htm

#9 ·
I would have to agree with NiNjA RyDiN. I learned how to do endos before wheelies and I had never dumped my bike until i did an endo going about 10mph. The bike went up and when i landed it just tipped over because i had no momentum. I find it alot easier to do them at 20mph (for begginers) and at 30-40 even better. but as minytrker said TAKE IT SLOW and get a feel for how the bike will react when you apply preasure to the brake. Be sure to squeeze the tank with your knees so you have more control of the bike.
A good way to start would be to get the bike going at about 50 and try braking with your front brake only to stop as fast as you can. Not to do a stoppie, this is just to get you comfortable on the motions. At least that's how I started and I improved very rapidly.
I have learned that the hardest part of doing stunts on bikes is getting over the fear factor. Takes time but you'll get it.;)

NYC potholes SUCK!

#10 ·
if you tump over at a dead stop, you don't get hurt. if anyone reading this post grabs to much front break doing 30-40 miles per hour, they are going to end up like one of my friends. thier leg in a cast/split/walking shoe for 8 months while thier bike sits outside thier house.

#15 ·
Hey guys,
I can do a stoppie, but I'm having a tough time with a rolling endo. One of my friends who is a good stunter tried endos on my bike ('97 zx6r) and he had difficulty also.

I think after discussing it with a few people that the problems (besides my own skill level of course) may be the front tire and/or the brakes.

A. My front tire is worn more on the sides than the middle from too much time in the twisties. Maybe this is affecting things because I don't have enough contact with the pavement?

B. Maybe I need better pads? I have steel braided brake lines. any feedback is appreciated!

mvrk1

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.