Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
there was a guide here on the old zx6r.com opening page with tips and it suggested grabbing the front break like if you were squeezing a orange frimly[?]

maybe the best is to start at a speed about 15mph and practice.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Practice, have a freind video tape you as you do them. Compare your self to smeone who is really good at them.(I used Thew) Once you start geting it high enough, try going faster so that you can cover some ground while your up their.

MarcO TMViolation has attached this file: mark_stoopie_5.jpg

MarcO TMViolation has attached this file: thew2.jpg

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
I wouldn't start out at 15mph, you are more apt to drop your bike that way b/c you will be coming to a comlete stop. I try not to come to a complete stop but when I have it all the way up and under control I will.

·
Registered
278 Posts
well put by stating grabbing a orange firmly, also you can try to grab the outside of the brake lever, gives you more room to play with, if your approaching cautiously on stoppie. To get the stoppies higher go faster.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Quick note I would like to add..
Been doing wheelies for a little while but I never had the cojones to try stoppies. FINALLY last week I did my first[8D]
point of this bed time story is I found it easy to go around 10-15 mph and squeeze "like I have an orange in my hand" came up around 5-6 inches but hey its a start. It took 1 second or less to squeeze the brakes in a smooth but quick motion. you don't want to skid or lock up by slamming on the brakes. But that was my experience. good luck [B)] where a helmet!!!

·
Registered
156 Posts
hmmmmmn im the total opposite of u miami636.....ive been doin stoppies for quite some time but im just starting to try wheelies....i guess i feel safer falling at 5mph or so when compared to 20mph+ on a wheelie.

oh yeah...confucious says:baseball is bad, man cannot walk with 4 balls ;)

·
Registered
586 Posts
when you say squeeze it like an orange. Obviously like I am making real orange juice. Also I have tried to learn stoppis on my dirt bike its just a lot harder to do since you dont have a tank to keep u from sliding into the bars. By the way I have tried this many times even squeezing tightly and I cant seem to get it up. Could it be that I am just too big of a pussy or what. I dont get it.

·
Registered
156 Posts
i just ease into the brakes for a bit then kinda jam in so the front locks at between 10-5mph....ive gotten it up into about the 10:30 position or so....i havnt yet attempted one while rolling yet. just be prepared to let off the brakes if u feel uncomfertable or think ur going up to high....been there a few times...

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Start at about 30mph/50kmh (you'll lose a lot of speed before the wheel leaves the ground when you're learning) and pull on the front brake enough to settle the front suspension. After it has settled (about 1-1.5 seconds or so) gradually but quickly pull the front brake on harder, much harder. This will probably get the rear off the ground as you stop. Or maybe you'll stop first and then the rear wheel will leave the ground, not fun.
If that happens, the seat will whack you in the bum and you'll feel it in your kidneys.[xx(]
Then, just practice. Get used to the braking forces involved and as you get better, start them at higher speeds and move into the rolling stoppies. You need to exercise a bit more control over the bike for them but you should be up to it by the time you get to them.
When the rear leaves the groung while the bike is still moving forward, the rear will come up really smoothly and if it's a low stoppie, you may not even realise the wheel is off the ground until it hits the ground again.
Take it easy and practice them lots. As with wheelies, by necessity you have to start stoppies by doing small ones first. Unless you really want to hurt yourself.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I agree with Nigel. There are times you dont realize it is up until your rear wheel hits the ground. your then like Oh S!*@& I got it up. Since I started I have had only one "crap in da pants" experience. 20mph and pulled in the brake at a controlled but quick manner. Rear came up, but bike decide to go sideways. In other words, Its not good when you do your stoppie and to your left you notice your passenger seat. I had w/o noticing turned my wheel to the left which while in the air brought the back side of the bike almost parallel with me. It probably looked phat, but I didn't think or feel so. thank God I didn't wreck. THE END

·
Registered
558 Posts
ha i flipped my shet doin a stoppie i didnt get hurt but my poor fkn bike did. smashed all kinds off stuff it was pretty bad. i'll stick to wheelies for now i got first gears on lock so its on to mastering second. be carefull all.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Originally posted by Nigel
Start at about 30mph/50kmh (you'll lose a lot of speed before the wheel leaves the ground when you're learning) and pull on the front brake enough to settle the front suspension. After it has settled (about 1-1.5 seconds or so) gradually but quickly pull the front brake on harder, much harder. This will probably get the rear off the ground as you stop. Or maybe you'll stop first and then the rear wheel will leave the ground, not fun.
If that happens, the seat will whack you in the bum and you'll feel it in your kidneys.[xx(]
Then, just practice. Get used to the braking forces involved and as you get better, start them at higher speeds and move into the rolling stoppies. You need to exercise a bit more control over the bike for them but you should be up to it by the time you get to them.
When the rear leaves the groung while the bike is still moving forward, the rear will come up really smoothly and if it's a low stoppie, you may not even realise the wheel is off the ground until it hits the ground again.
Take it easy and practice them lots. As with wheelies, by necessity you have to start stoppies by doing small ones first. Unless you really want to hurt yourself.
There you go, just make sure you are on a smooth road, clear of debri (like loose gravel and sand) bumps in the road and other shit fuck up stoppies

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
give the front break a little tap before u sqeeze hard to shift the weight to the front so u dont skid.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I got it up last night to 10:eek:o position, got it on video. I have to say that is the best way to practice, get it on video, then you see what you are doing and what you need to correct. You also realize your not as high as you think you are! lol:D But anyways I got it up to 10-1030 and I was going around 25mph when I started the endo. goodluck and thanks for the info that everybody shares.:)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.