Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
sorry if this topic has been posted elsewhere on the site...

I'm gonna put my bike in storage this weekend. This might seem really amateur to some of you but please go easy on me. What the hell do I need to do??

bowdown
[:M83]

·
Premium Member
8,191 Posts
The important things are:
-change the oil if its close to its normal change time, old oil is more acidic then new oil
-either drain the tank or put fuel stabilizer in. Also run the carbs dry once you put the stabilizer in (turn off the fuel tap and run it until it stops. You can also drain the carbs if you dont mind taking the tank off)
-have it on stands, or at the least on plastic sheets. Cement will absorb moisture from the tires, drying them out
-disconnect the battery, remove it from the bike. Will need a trickle charger on it later since it will probobly go dead over the winter.

I also would take the plastics off, in the cold they are easier to crack, so I would keep them inside where it's warm

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
Also, it is a good idea to have your bike up on stands to prevent from getting flat spots on your tires. It's not a huge deal, but you might as well prevent from getting them if you can. Also, when you do store your battery, do not store it on a cement floor since it will cause your battery to drain much more rapidly.

·
Registered
700 Posts
how long is "long-term storage"?

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
I'm sure I don't live too far from you. You could store it in my garage. Just as long as you leave the keys;)[:p]:D.

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
[:M6][:M98]Houston weather rocks![:M6][:M98]

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
haha - yeah mred i'll do that next time. houston weather does rock and it's unfortunate that I'm not there at the moment. My dumbass had to pick a school in NC. I put her away today til I come back in January but I still won't be able to take her out until Feb. Thanx for the help guys.

peace
bowdown
[:M83]

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.