Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well its michigan and its starting to get cold so im just wondering... what is the proper way to store your bike during the winter????? thanks every1

·
Registered
389 Posts
Here's my method:

1. Fill gas tank up completely and add Stabil or other fuel stabilizer

2. Remove battery and store inside (in the basement)

3. Change oil & filter

4. Give bike a good cleaning and mist any metal parts with rust inhibitor

5. Seal up exhaust pipe(s) with a piece of tin foil and a rubber band

6. Remove seat(s) to prevent rodents from building a nest underneath

7. Seal up air intakes, if not already blocked by screen

8. Go on internet and start planning next year's track days!

I'm not a big fan of battery tenders because I don't like leaving them plugged in for more than a week or so at a time. It's a rare possibility, but a malfunction could cook the battery. Plus, getting the battery out lets you top up the electrolytes, if needed, and clean any corrosion off the terminals and leads.

Another tip is don't store any sort of bird seed, dog food, or feed in the same structure as your motorcycle(s). Otherwise Mr. mouse will decide your bike is a great food storage space, and you'll be cleaning his food and his poop out of your machine next spring.

·
Premium Member
3,573 Posts
Originally posted by antimatter
Here's my method:

1. Fill gas tank up completely and add Stabil or other fuel stabilizer

2. Remove battery and store inside (in the basement)

3. Change oil & filter

4. Give bike a good cleaning and mist any metal parts with rust inhibitor

5. Seal up exhaust pipe(s) with a piece of tin foil and a rubber band

6. Remove seat(s) to prevent rodents from building a nest underneath

7. Seal up air intakes, if not already blocked by screen

8. Go on internet and start planning next year's track days!

I'm not a big fan of battery tenders because I don't like leaving them plugged in for more than a week or so at a time. It's a rare possibility, but a malfunction could cook the battery. Plus, getting the battery out lets you top up the electrolytes, if needed, and clean any corrosion off the terminals and leads.

Another tip is don't store any sort of bird seed, dog food, or feed in the same structure as your motorcycle(s). Otherwise Mr. mouse will decide your bike is a great food storage space, and you'll be cleaning his food and his poop out of your machine next spring.
I agree to all this except for changing oil and filter, and here's why. You should change it in the spring and not the fall because during the winter it gets cold, then warms up then cold and that causes moisture to develop, then you have some nice water in with your nice new oil. When I worked in the dealership, I always suggested changing oil in the spring, start it up, warm it up, dump it and replace. Also I know some say it doesn't matter but never put your battery on a concret floor, put a block of wood under it or on a shelf. As for me, I will be riding mine ALL year, as long as the roads are dry, I will ride. When it stays wet, just start the bike and let it run for a few minutes.....not to worried though...heated garage for my baby;)

·
Registered
463 Posts
i agree i did all this last year but i think i am just going to fill the tank this year put some stable in the tank..put it up on stands and start it once a week or so...taking out the battery last year worked good but in the middle of winter when you have a nice sunny day and it hits 55 degrees here in michigan like it always does..you get the itch to go riding and it takes to long to put the battery back in and everything so you dont bother taking it out

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Not changing the oil is the worst thing you can do before letting a bike sit all winter with dirty oil. Contaminants will settle and become sludge. Put cheap oil and when spring comes, just change it and put good oil. It should'nt cost more than 10 bucks. Also, it will be tempting to start the bike and let it idle and rev it up but don’t do it. Moisture will build up. Not good for the engine.

·
Premium Member
3,573 Posts
Originally posted by rainking1978
Not changing the oil is the worst thing you can do before letting a bike sit all winter with dirty oil. Contaminants will settle and become sludge. Put cheap oil and when spring comes, just change it and put good oil. It should'nt cost more than 10 bucks. Also, it will be tempting to start the bike and let it idle and rev it up but don’t do it. Moisture will build up. Not good for the engine.
Everyone has their own ways but what your saying here is that what I learned from MMI and years of doing it is wrong? Moisture will build up no matter what, I was just making the suggestion of what I do and what I have told many customers to do, never had a problem on this end. Some things work for some but not all, I also ride all year too, temps in North Dakota can be -10F one day and 50F the next.

·
Registered
103 Posts
What's the best way do it if it's not going to be riden for a little over a year? I drained the oil and gas last night due to shipping requirements, but I plan on riding it for a few weeks in Cali before I leave for Japan. Would it be all right to leave the same oil in it for that year, and change it when I get back. The bike will be stored in northern cali (it gets cold but nothing below upper 20s at night) in my parents garage on stands (front and rear). It will be started every once in a while if I have all the fluids in it, but i'm not sure what the best way to go about it since it's not just for the winter.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.