Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi peeps..

I just had a question. What would happen if you were to store your bike over winter by just draining the old engine oil, and not replacing it till next year? Personally I think it would be harmful for the engine because some of the left over oil which is still dirty will cause the engine some damage. Has anyone done this before?

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
I wouldn't do that either. I'm not a mechanic, but I know the motor is not supposed to be without engine oil for very long. The most amount of time I ever let mine go without oil (not running I mean) was overnight. Definitely don't do that.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I've searched for "Winter Storage" on this site and found several suggestions. I just wish I knew which one was correct.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I know how to properly store both my bikes, and I am storing a buddy's bike away too, just that I was wondering if anyone had done that. Come to think of it, no oil in the engine over the winter is a VERY bad idea. But what problems are you having? What are you not to sure of? I'll try to help you out.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Never heard of storing a bike without oil. The owners manual says to change the oil right before you store the bike.

I personally think its better to start and run the bike for 20 minutes every other week than to store it.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Oil will protect the engine from moisture and rust. Do not store the bike without oil -- not a good idea. If you're going to run your bike every other week instead of storing it (which personally, I don't recommend), be sure to run it long enough that all moisture in your system is evaporated. This would be after the fan cuts in for the SECOND time.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I run it for 15 minutes AFTER it comes up to operating temp. Its also put on a rear stand and run through the gears. I only do this when the weather doesn't permit riding. I personally think its better to run it through the winter rather than store it.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
this is for Noz..
This is how I personally store my bikes away for the winter season.

I first use WD-40 and a cloth to completely clean the chain and any gunk off it.

Then I go to the gas station and fill the bike up all the way with gas, and then fill the appropriate amount of stabilizer(Generally 2 ounces for the gas tank).

I then go for a short ride, or long enough for some of the stabilized fuel to enter and start burning in the carburetor, and this should take no more than a 5 minute ride. ( this also helps the stabilizer to be distributed through the entire fuel system and fuel lines)

Then while riding, I turn the gas valve to the "OFF" position, cutting off the fuel from the tank to the engine. The amount of fuel already in the system will not get you more than a kilometre or two of distance, so do this real close to your house. Then stop in front of your house or storage place and let the engine idle until it shuts off. This signals that most of the fuel in the system is burned off, however I start the engine a few more times to burn off any fuel left, until I can't start again. (don't hold the starter for too long, it could cause damage)

I then Change the oil and the oil filter while the oil is still hot/warm, as it gets more dirt and crap out when the oil is hotter than when its colder. ( I personally use KAWASAKI 4 stroke fully synthetic, it works good for me)

I then lube the chain nice and evenly.

On one of the bikes, I also changed the brake fluid. If your bike does not need that no need to do it.

Then I cleaned the entire bike nice and good, spray oil or some rust-inhibitor on exposed metal surfaces, and wax the bike. Just make sure when cleaning the rims you don't get any of the chemicals on the brakes or brake pads.

Then I took out the battery and hooked it up to a trickle charger(69.99 at cycle world) and it will stay like that for the winter.

I put the bike on the front and back stand, and lowered the tire pressure an estimated 20-40%. ( if you dont have stands, lower the pressure 20%, and put the wheels on top of some wood, or material with a wooden surface. do not leave the rubbers in contact with the floor, especially if the floor is cold)

Using an elastic band, tie a plastic bag tightly aroung the exhaust pipe. Put a bike cover on the bike, and put it somewhere away from the elements.

ALSO: I put a bike lock on my bikes, and the way they are positioned, it would be quite a hard task to steal them without making any noise. F$%#en bike thiefs....

This is how I do my winterization...it works just fine...I hope it helps :) I cant wait to ride again[V]

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
In regards with running it thorugh the winter or just putting it away, that depends on your personal taste, I put mine away. Either way works, as long as you do it properly...

·
Registered
94 Posts
Glad I didn't do any of that last week. It will be almost 70 today so I'll be going almost 70. j/k.

Thnaks for you in depth instructions. I'll take you advice in a week or too.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.