Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I have been out of the country for a year and when I came back I had some trouble starting up my ninja 250. Now I expected this considering I didnt really do my due dilligence before I left since it was sort of a last minute thing so I got what I deserved there. After draining the carbs a few times and continually running new fuel through them and after having checked the spark plugs to make sure they were not fouled and ensuring the battery was charged I was able to get the bike to start. That is not my issue.

Now that the bike is running I have had a slew of old problems come back and haunt me along with some new ones. On this bike I have already had to replace the clutch due to damage, but last year after I replaced the clutch the bike was running fine. Now however when i put the bike into first on a stand (so the rear tire is lifted of the ground) the rear tire just slowly spins, even if I release the clutch entirely (or for that matter if I dissconnect the clutch cable; which I have,) the tire just keeps spinning and the bike doesnt stall, which is obviously a problem. In addition to this the rpms on the bike dip before heading up if i twist the throttle quickly and even when they are up and I hole the throttle steady they bounce around with a variance of about 1000rpm rather than just holding their place. Sometimes if i twist too quickly the bike will even stall. I have tried adjusting the idle to remedy this issue to no avail.

I should mention that I also have a full yoshi pipe and the airbox has been swapped out for a K&N filter on my bike. Before you ask, yes I installed a factory pro stage 2 jet kit and had it tuned perfectly last year before I left.

So given all of this information does anyone have any idea what is up with my bike and how I can fix it. Thanks a bunch you guys are a lot of help.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
as far as the clutch goes, its doing exactly as it is supposed to... when there is not a load on the bike, the tire will slowly spin in neutral whether the clutch is in or out. as far as the rpm jumps, i would prolly start with pulling out the carbs and completely cleaning them.

·
Overwhelming Splendidery
13,553 Posts
yeah, your running issues are 99% attributed to dirty carbs (jets).

I'd dump a bottle of seafowm in the tank and see if that clear it up - it worked for mine.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dumped a whole bottle of seafoam in there to no avail, still bogs right down to a stall if I open the throttle quickly. This is beginning to annoy. Does anyone have any other suggestions, the help from experts is always appreciated. Thanks again guys.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
You need to pull you carbs and clean them really well. Check for corrosion on the needles and jets, ethinol can be a bitch.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
took off the carb ad took it apart. Everything inside is clean as a whistle and shiny and nice. So now Im really getting frustrated. I have no idea why the bike was bogging down to a stall in low rpms ONLY when i twisted the throttle. If i used the choke it went up smoothly and fine. If i turned the idle screw it went up just fine, but as soon as I touched that throttle it would bog down and if i didnt let go it would stall. However if i managed to get the rpms to about 4 or 5 k then all of a sudden everyhting went back to being perfectly fine, until I released the throttle, and then once again I would be back to square one. Any help at all would be stellar guys. thanks a million

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sounds like your pilot jet is clogged. Use Carb cleaner and compressed air to clean the jet and passages. Sometimes it's hard to tell, the hole in the pilot jet is so small.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
why deos everyone substitute pulling the carbs and cleaning them with seafoam. seafoam helps clean, but it does nothing compared to physically cleaning them. its like comparing taking your car through the touch-less car wash as opposed to getting a sponge and physically cleaning it... its not even close to the same results.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
But I have pulled out the carbs and cleaned them... The bike also hesitates on the way down after being revved if that helps diagnose the problem. And as I said, idle screw sends it up and down but throttle is messed up... Anyhting to do other than clean carbs?

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
how did you clean them? also did you try syncing them? when you cleaned them did you mess with any of the mix screws?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I used the "pine-Sol" method found on the ninja 250 rider forums. Basically I just removed the diaphragms and slides and then stuck the whole carb in a vat of 2 parts pinesol (well actually lysol but yeah) and 1 part water. and just let it soak. Then I tried using a thin copper wire as best as I could to ream all the little holes. Thats about all she wrote. Is it possible its somehting else? my fuel lines or somehting in the engine or anything like that?

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
its best to remove the jets and blow them out with an air compressor... carefully obviously.

·
Registered
38 Posts
why deos everyone substitute pulling the carbs and cleaning them with seafoam. seafoam helps clean, but it does nothing compared to physically cleaning them. its like comparing taking your car through the touch-less car wash as opposed to getting a sponge and physically cleaning it... its not even close to the same results.
+1 ... check the jets... be 100% sure that they are clean... they can look clean but still be plugged up a little...

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Did you actually take the carbs apart and clean the components one by one? The dunk method isn't really effective unless you have the super corrosive parts cleaner and that isn't good for gaskets our o-rings

1 - 18 of 18 Posts