Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My bike is not currently ridable put I put gas in it and I was cruzin around in 1st just to make sure everything is cool, anyway I was charging the battery back up (while it was in the bike) cause it has been sitting for so long, and I hear this buzz - kinda - whine sound from under the tank. It sounds like the fuel pump but the bike is off. When I open the gas tank it really sucks for air I wonder if it is not vented properly and the tank has become air tight not sure if this is related to the fuel pump whine or not. Let me know how much pressure builds up in your tank and if you ever hear the fuel pump whine or some other strange cause.
Thanks, Bill

·
Registered
934 Posts
Are you sure the sound was from UNDER the gas tank?

It's normal to hear sounds emitting from the tank (through the filler cap) on hot days or after the bike has been run and is then sitting still. The heat will cause the fuel/air mixture in the tank to expand and then excess air to vent out causing a high pitch whiney sound. If you then open the cap, the extra air pressure will all rush out (not suck in).

Fuel pump should have no power if the bike is off...

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry Rob I know I should be searching, but thank you guys it sounds just like what bshap said so I guess its all right. Bike is coming along and will be done soon.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Bah, I love it when guys go back to old posts to throw in their 2 bits. :)

... It does make for a great database to search through!! [8D]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.