Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 636 and my KDX220 (dirtbike), both use a 520 chain. I've been looking at new chains (blue), for both of them. Street bike chains costs 30 or 40.00 more than the dirtbike chains. Is there a difference? If so what? I held up a piece of a Regina Gold chain off my kdx to my ninja and they look exactly the same. I even looked at chains for both bikes on the same web site.
http://www.wickedthunder.com/-strse-809/EK-X-dsh-Ring-Colored-Chains/Detail.bok
It shows some really cool colored chains for dirtbikes and a much smaller selection for street bikes that costs more. They have about the same tensile strength and are the exact same size? What's the difference?

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
As far as I know, dirtbike chains usually don't have O-rings, which means they require more maintenance if you want them to last for a long time.

·
Got lime? I do
16,736 Posts
they require more maintenance because of no seals or lesser seals and will stretch on u quicker. my 2

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dirtbike chains DO have O-rings or X-rings. Whichever you prefer. 8,400lbs. tensile strength is stronger than most streetbike chains also.

·
Got lime? I do
16,736 Posts
hmmm, don't really know then. try it out and post it up. they are cheaper. but there's got to be a reason.

·
Registered
418 Posts
the sportbike chain recommended by EK for 600cc bikes has the same tensile strength as the dirtbike chains and is also a 120 link 520 x-ring chain. I am pretty sure it is the same chain with a different label.i think that i am going to try one.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you consider the punishment that dirtbike chains have to endure, mud, grit, hillclimbs, jumps, etc, they probably have to be at least as strong as a streetbike chain. As I said before, I held the two chains side by side and I can't see any difference. Just another way manufacturers are squeezing a little extra cash out of us motorcycle owners.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.