Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys. I'm new to the forum because I just bought a '98 ZX6R salvage and have been transforning it into a streetfighter for the last month. It's turning out great, looks wicked. Scares the hell out of my sister.[}:)]

ANYWAY...(I searched the forum for my topic but the only one I found is frozen, so there was no replys.)
I want to mount an external oil cooler but since the factory one is water cooled, I'm kinnd of stuped what to do? Do I plug the ports and go off the engine somewhere or just run lines off the factory one so it acts as a mini-radiator?

I want to mount it on my forks or down below the radiator. Would I have pressure issues if mounted on the forks? Smaller dia. lines?
Sorry about all the questions, I want to ride the thing before it gets too frigid outside here in Minnesota.

THANKS FOR ANY INFO,
-Crazy Cale

·
Premium Member
2,625 Posts
why do you want an external one?...Looks?

invest in "Water Wetter"(or similiar product) to make the rad run cooler...much cooler....and much easier!!

Jake

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yes, looks. I saw a picture of one mounted under twin micro projector lights and I liked the look. I've got the lights, but the oil cooler would look nasty.

·
Registered
464 Posts
I`ve seen them mounted both places. I know nothing about how to rig them up though. Check out this website, it has a lot of info and a lot of pics as well.

http://www.spartgsxrspecials.com/

Hey, assuming you are running no fairings right now, how have you got arund the issue of your RAM ducts? I`m looking for a way to cover up my but ugly ones now. I'm probably going to have to fab my own out of fiberglass. Just wondering what you have in mind

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, you are right to assume no fairings, and it looks pretty sweet. BUT, there are a few issues. The rad. coolant tank was ugly, so I just used a metal sea-foam can with the overflow hose through the cap. Same concept as the tank, just better looking.
AS FOR THE RAM AIR DUCTS...I've come up with a prety good idea after staring at it for hours and hours.
Since the air needs to be "RAMMED" in order to make power at speed, these canot be covered up, but rain is also an issue. I'm going to use a section of the rubber boots and use a tall velocity stack through the frame. I'll put a fine mesh screen over that an "outerwears" pre filter just behind it so that dirt and water does not RAM into the engine as well, grenading my precious motor.
Geezas, I really get talking, don't I?
-crazy cale

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
I'd plug the oil cooler ports on the radiator, and then run new lines from the engine to the external cooler.

Have fun with it. [:M86]

·
Registered
464 Posts
You have a pic of what you used for a resivior? I don't get what you mean by "a sea-foam can" I just used a gatoraid bottle in my tailsection, but thats gunna go here soon once I put my new tail on, so I'm gunna have to come up with something to mounnt externally that looks good.

For the RAM on my bike, I just used 3" PVC elbows with a metal screen over them. They look ok, though it sounds pretty ghetto, but they don't satisfy me. The trouble of finding "something" to fit the holes is that it has to be on a funky angle. What I'll probably do is make some out of fiberglass they way I want them to look.

I'm gunna be sick of fiberglass by spring...

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Do you know where the correct ports are on the engine? I checked the factory manual but the oil flow diagram dosen't really give specifics on where oil ports are located. I see oil ports on the block, should I unscrew them to see if oil comes out?

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
candyman-"Sea-Foam" is an engine cleaner thats been around the midwest for a while. I don't know if it's distributed to around Penn. or not. I know you can get it at O'Reilly's or Bumper to Bumper if there's one near you. Works really great in engines that use carbs. (small engines, bikes, older cars, etc.) Brings 'em to life, and fast! It's in a red and white can, it looks like it's stright out of the '50s.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I figuered it out! I'll use a sandwich-style adapter and plug the radiator ports. I don't know why I didn't think of this before. I've used them before. Does anyone know the size of the filter thread by chance?

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
CANDYMAN- You can use a piece of aluminum tubing with caps welded on the ends so it's a closed cylinder, then tap thread in the top and put a thread-in barb fitting in them for the hose coming from the radiator. Tap another hole next to it for the overflow onto the ground. That would look nice, you could make it out of any size dia. tubing to fit anywhere, plus it could be painted, polished or chromed.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Ya thats a good idea for a overflow. I'd just have to find the right parts. Alluminum tubing I could find, but aluminum caps...? Plus I just got info on how to DIY anodizing...

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
By "aluminum caps" I mean a round piece of aluminum welded on the ends od the pipe so it's a closed tube. I get these ideas and I see them in my head, but I don't describe them very well sometimes.
Do you have a link for the DIY andonizing? I'd like to know how to do that. Isn't electricity involved somehow?

·
Registered
464 Posts
Go to the website I linked above (
http://www.spartgsxrspecials.com/
)

Go to "Spart Project Update"
Under the "Tech" dropdown menu is "Home Anodizing (New Website)" Click on that and it page by page. You have to click at the bottom for the next page to come up. I just copied it all to a word document so I'll have it when I need it.

Bassicly you just make your own battery. The hard things to get will be the sulfiric acid (if you know a chem prof it might be easier) and the dyes. I was a science major in college so it might seem easier to me than to others, but it does look pretty straight forward.

·
Registered
6 Posts
oh dear, ive found another way to blow up the house and spend more time fiddling with bike components!! cheers Candyman :)

·
Registered
464 Posts
Ya, I would take his warnings to heart. I've gotten even weak acid on my hands (chem experiments gone awry) and it left my hands dried up to almost blistered for weeks. And those fumes CAN be pretty noxious.

I'd hate to see anybody disfigured because of a link I posted[:p]

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
maybe I'll just take out the trusty can of ultra-flat. If I had to have spray paint or acid burns on my hands, I'll go with the paint.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I know, the wires are a "Rat's" nest, I'll use the corrugated tubing and zip ties to bundle and hide them. The drag bars are just sitting in the forks right now. I'm currently modifying a ZRX1200 upper clamp to fit my ZX6R. The fork tube holes need to be taken out 1mm and the head stock bolt needs to be opened at least 2mm, bbut theres PLENTY of material, so it will be strong. Then I'll have the "fighter"-bar setup without spending $300 on a billet clamp.
See that overflow bottle? Works perfect(not much to it in the first place), and it fits snug and out of the way.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.