Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help! I did such a newbie. I was going to change the oil for the first time on the double R, and nuts! I stripped one of the stupid allen head bolt things on the lower left side fairing. Anybody know an easy way to remove the the/forum/uploads/benthere/im001007.jpg little bastard? :(

· Registered
132 Posts
Mr. Benthere, that's a fine picture. The lighting's just right. Well done.

If you haven't removed the bolt yet, here's a quick step-by-step.

Removing stripped fairing bolts isn't difficult. They do strip from time to time, especially on modern weight-conscious bikes. Plenty of aluminum and other soft metal, non-load-bearing bolts all over the thing, I’ve found.

I use t-handles on most bike parts these days: they don’t torque very much and are very convenient, hanging on a rack off the toolbox. Allen T’s are available from Sears. Philips, standard, and socket T’s are available online from MotionPro.

Materials:

1. Power drill (good time to buy a Porter Cable, DeWalt, or similar 14.4V cordless drill!)
2. Assorted drill bits
3. E-Z out (or equal) screw removers, from Sears or any hardware store. They come in kits, usually. Buy a kit with a few sizes.
4. Can of WD-40 or other oil dispenser.

Procedure:

- Select an E-Z Out similar in size to the fairing bolt. Most fairing bolts are what, M6? I believe that’s 6mm, or about a quarter-inch.
- Drill a shallow hole, using the recommended drill bit size for the selected E-Z out.
- Use WD-40 or other lube to prep the hole; it’ll drill faster.
- Insert E-Z out. They’re counter-sunk, I’m fairly sure, so turning clockwise will back the bolt out.

It should be that simple. Piece of cake! Good luck.

· Registered
4,264 Posts
i replaced all of my upper fairing bolts, that connect to the side fairing, with bolts from LP. they look like racing style pin bolts...know what i mean?

· Registered
5 Posts
Originally posted by arturo3rd

i replaced all of my upper fairing bolts, that connect to the side fairing, with bolts from LP. they look like racing style pin bolts...know what i mean?
do you have any pictures you could send me? i am really interested in switching to the lp d-ring setup. please email me at [email protected] so i can get some more info on how to do this.

steve

· Registered
4,264 Posts
no problem, ill get some up. all you need to do is remove side fairings, and switch the screws.

· Registered
4,264 Posts
just where the farings connect with each other. they are just for fairngs, not engines or other purposes.

once you take off your side/lower fairings, its a simple switch to the d-ring and fasteners. i dont know if the 03 has anymore screws like that since i own a 01.

· Registered
105 Posts
damn, I just did it tonight on both bikes.

I stripped a fairing screw on the zx-6rr, and I sheared off the head completely on the rear hugger on my ducati.

Are these alan screws made of butter or something?

· Registered
156 Posts
are you using metric allen keys BDD? make sure they are a tight fit and fitted all the way in. I use a little bit of chain grease on my threads before i replace them as well to minimise seizing.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.