Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help! I did such a newbie. I was going to change the oil for the first time on the double R, and nuts! I stripped one of the stupid allen head bolt things on the lower left side fairing. Anybody know an easy way to remove the the/forum/uploads/benthere/im001007.jpg little bastard? :(

·
Registered
132 Posts
Mr. Benthere, that's a fine picture. The lighting's just right. Well done.

If you haven't removed the bolt yet, here's a quick step-by-step.

Removing stripped fairing bolts isn't difficult. They do strip from time to time, especially on modern weight-conscious bikes. Plenty of aluminum and other soft metal, non-load-bearing bolts all over the thing, I’ve found.

I use t-handles on most bike parts these days: they don’t torque very much and are very convenient, hanging on a rack off the toolbox. Allen T’s are available from Sears. Philips, standard, and socket T’s are available online from MotionPro.

Materials:

1. Power drill (good time to buy a Porter Cable, DeWalt, or similar 14.4V cordless drill!)
2. Assorted drill bits
3. E-Z out (or equal) screw removers, from Sears or any hardware store. They come in kits, usually. Buy a kit with a few sizes.
4. Can of WD-40 or other oil dispenser.

Procedure:

- Select an E-Z Out similar in size to the fairing bolt. Most fairing bolts are what, M6? I believe that’s 6mm, or about a quarter-inch.
- Drill a shallow hole, using the recommended drill bit size for the selected E-Z out.
- Use WD-40 or other lube to prep the hole; it’ll drill faster.
- Insert E-Z out. They’re counter-sunk, I’m fairly sure, so turning clockwise will back the bolt out.

It should be that simple. Piece of cake! Good luck.

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
i replaced all of my upper fairing bolts, that connect to the side fairing, with bolts from LP. they look like racing style pin bolts...know what i mean?

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
i replaced the stock one with these

·
Registered
5 Posts
Originally posted by arturo3rd

i replaced all of my upper fairing bolts, that connect to the side fairing, with bolts from LP. they look like racing style pin bolts...know what i mean?
do you have any pictures you could send me? i am really interested in switching to the lp d-ring setup. please email me at [email protected] so i can get some more info on how to do this.

steve

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
no problem, ill get some up. all you need to do is remove side fairings, and switch the screws.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Originally posted by arturo3rd

no problem, ill get some up. all you need to do is remove side fairings, and switch the screws.
cool. did you just do the upper fairing mount where the 3 screws are, or did you do those all over?

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
just where the farings connect with each other. they are just for fairngs, not engines or other purposes.

once you take off your side/lower fairings, its a simple switch to the d-ring and fasteners. i dont know if the 03 has anymore screws like that since i own a 01.

·
Registered
97 Posts
damn, I just did it tonight on both bikes.

I stripped a fairing screw on the zx-6rr, and I sheared off the head completely on the rear hugger on my ducati.

Are these alan screws made of butter or something?

·
Registered
153 Posts
are you using metric allen keys BDD? make sure they are a tight fit and fitted all the way in. I use a little bit of chain grease on my threads before i replace them as well to minimise seizing.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I was using metric.. 4mm I think. They did not seem to be all that tight of a fit though.

I like those d-ring fasteners though.. no drilling or anything, correct?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.