Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Official n00b
17,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so about two months ago, I tore into my ZX6R's transmission to check the shift forks and drum for wear and tear. And upon installation, as I was putting the detent arm back in that selects the gear position on the shift drum, the threads in the case stripped out. :banghead:

So now that I'm home this weekend, id like to get it put back together. I was thinking about retapping the threads to the next size up and replacing the bolt. But there's a spacer (shown in pic below) that fits the OEM bolt. So id either have to drill it out to fit the new bolt or see if I can get a different one that fits.

Or, I thought about using helicoils. Helicoils seem like a simpiler and easier method. But my only concern is that the helicoil won't hold in place over time because it will be covered in oil.

Are Helicoils safe to use for something like this? Or is there another way to fix this? I'm going through withdrawal not being able to ride :eek:

Attachments

·
Registered
56 Posts
Using a helicoil should work with no problem. You shouldn't have to worry about the helicoil working its way out because once you have the bolt threaded on and torqued to spec, the pressure applied from the bolt will prevent anything from working its way out.

I actually used helicoils on the rear differential housing/cover on my 03 cobra. The differential housing is solid aluminum and the threads are notorious for stripping on these cars. So while doing some work to my IRS I decided to install heliciols on my entire diff housing to prevent stripping. It has been over 2 years since doing so and I haven't had a single problem. The car has 548 ft/lbs of torque at the wheels and the diff has had plenty of stress on it while going down the strip numerous times. The bolts have never came loose at all. I think a helicoil would hold up just fine for that bolt on your bike

·
The Indifference Engine
6,150 Posts
Providing you can get enough threads of the heli -coil into the case there's no reason it won't stay. If you're really worried, you can add a drop of loctite to the outer coils. But you'll have to clean every trace of oil off it. And really it's not necessary.

When you're drilling the new hole dip the bit in grease and drill slowly. This will collect the metal shavings. You will likely need to clean the grease off and reaply several times. Do the same when tapping the new threads.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Funnily enough I was talking to an metal engineer friend of mine the other week when he was helping me with a stripped bolt and he said it would be much better if bikes had helicoils fitted in all the threads as standard to stop the aluminium threads stripping, so I'd say you'd be fine

·
Official n00b
17,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks fellas, I bought some helicoils and hopefully I will have time to mess with the bike today. I'll keep this updated as I make progress

·
The Indifference Engine
6,150 Posts
Be careful removing the helicoil tang. You don't want that falling into the engine.

·
Official n00b
17,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Be careful removing the helicoil tang. You don't want that falling into the engine.
Because of the location of the arm, it will just fall out the bottom of the oil pan.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts